Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Garden Updates

Our garden is growing a bit strange this summer. Usually by this time in the summer we are harvesting ripe tomatoes, peppers, okra, and many cucumbers. This year we have had a few cucumbers, but not the usual bounty. Our watermelon and cantaloupes are far far away from harvesting. Our tomatoes are beautiful with many green tomatoes, but no red ones in sight. I have the canning itch, but nothing to can. I don't even have peppers as of yet. We planted pretty much on time, but I am not for sure what is up with this year. I am sure the weather has had something to do with it. I know that August and September will be busy canning months so I am just preparing ahead of time for that.

I did clear out half a bed today so that I could plant another batch of bush beans. We planted pole beans about a week ago. I am unsure if they will produce enough beans before cold weather hits. This is a trial. I also want to clear out another spot to plant some more squash and zucchini. I didn't get my fill of either one of those plants this year before they were all murdered by the bugs. I have never planted these late so I will let you know how it turns out.

In a few days, I will head back to the shop to plant some broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage seeds. I am preparing for my fall garden. I still want to see how long we can harvest fresh veggies this year. This too will be another learning experience. Each year I try something new so I guess by the time I am an 80 year old woman I may be able to say that I have the gardening thing down!!

grace and peace,
julie

No comments: