Monday, May 17, 2010

Bread Rounds

This is my new favorite homemade bread.  I don't say that you just have to try a recipe very often, but this recipe MUST be tried if you like bread.  I'm not even a lover of bread and I LOVED it.  I found the recipe in a Taste of Homes magazine.  These are my new favorite cookbooks.  The magazine is like going to a church potluck dinner and bringing home all your favorite recipes.  I encourage you to pick one up any chance you get!  Hope you enjoy the bread!!!

1 package active dry yeast
3/4 cup warm water
1 cup warm milk
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 egg, separated
2 teaspoons salt, divided
4 1/2 cups Bread flour
1 Tablespoon water
1 teaspoon each poppy seeds, sesame seeds, and caraway seeds
1 teaspoon dried minced onion

In a large bowl dissolve yeast in warm water.  Add milk, sugar, butter, egg yolk, 1 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 2 cups bread flour.  Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes.  Add remaining flour and knead.  Dough will be sticky.  Knead by hand for about 10 minutes.  (I use my kitchen aide mixer and let it knead for about 5 minutes).

Place in a greased bowl, turn once to coat the dough.  Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about an hour.

Punch dough down.  Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half.  Shape into 2 round loaves.  Place on a well greased cookie sheet.  Let rise until doubled, about 30 to 45 minutes.

Combine egg white and 1 Tablespoon water.  Brush on each loaf gently.  Combine poppy seeds, caraway seeds, sesame seeds, onion, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.  ( I used kosher salt for the topping). 

Bake at 375 for 20 minutes or until brown. 

I made this bread to serve with Italian Beef.  The next day I made it again because the kids requested it.  It would be great with just about any soup.  I might just have to go make it again today!!

grace and peace,
julie

2 comments:

Mountain Mama said...

Yep! We will be trying this one. Love bread!!

I also love Taste of Home. Love it! Brian even got me the Taste of Home collection recipes for Christmas. It is the Cadillac of all cookbooks!!

blessings,
ashley

Carmen S. said...

OH YUM, I'm a bread lover and this looks wonderful! My hubby can't have the seeds on top due to Diverticular disease but since it makes 2 loaves it's perfect, I can just leave the toppings off of his:) Thanks for sharing, hope your enjoying the day!