Thursday, July 16, 2009

Homemade Breakfast Bowls

Have you ever eaten the Breakfast Bowls at a local Denny's? Me neither, but I did steal their idea and come up with my own. I take potatoes and wash them, cube them, and fry them up in an iron skillet. Before I cook them, I fry up some bacon in that iron skillet. I then fry my potatoes in the bacon drippings. (Shhh...don't tell my resident health nut). I also add an onion to the potatoes and salt and pepper. Once the potatoes are done I take them out and drain them on some paper towels. I then start to work on my eggs. I use another clean skillet and scramble enough eggs to feed who ever may be gathered around my breakfast table for that morning. I then take the potatoes and place them in a large bowl. I layer the scrambled eggs on top of the potatoes. Sprinkle cheddar cheese and then crumble the bacon and place it on the top of the cheese. This dish has many different options that is limited only by your imagination.

To make a hot version add jalapenos and monetary jack cheese instead of the cheddar. You could also add salsa.

Sauteed green peppers and mushrooms could also be added to give it a burst of flavor. Don't like bacon, use sausage instead.

This meal is great as leftovers. Just reheat and serve, and pray nobody remembers that they saw it yesterday! My kids don't like leftovers.

grace and peace,
julie

3 comments:

Paige said...

That's such an easy, yummy idea! I love it! I'll have to try it when I finally get back to my own apartment!

Carmen S. said...

My hubby buys the jimmy dean frozen breakfast bowls, I'll have to show him this, I'm sure yours are 100% healthier:)

TnFullQuiver said...

Paige,
I think Dan will like it!!! The Meadow Creek resort is being offered at a million and a half for everything. Are you interested? Ha Ha!!!!

Carmen,
Let me know what he thinks of homemade breakfast bowls!

grace and peace,
julie