Friday, July 06, 2007

Cucumbers and a Quick Recipe



Our cucumbers are finally coming in for harvest. We planted them later than usual so we have had to wait longer than I really like to enjoy the great taste of fresh cucumbers. In the next few weeks, I will be canning Lime Pickles as well as Dill Pickles. Dill pickles are the easiest thing in the world to can. I always add a garlic clove and a Cayenne pepper to each of my quart jars. The pepper gives the pickles a bit of a bite that our entire family enjoys. For those of us who really like spice, I will replace the Cayenne pepper with a habinero pepper. Those pickles don't bite back, they KICK back!
My mom and grandmother always had cucumbers and vinegar in the frig. during the summer months. This is something that Michael and I love, and it makes a great side dish to just about any meal.
Cucumbers and Vinegar
Slice up several cucumbers. Depending on the size, I use 5 or 6. If small, I use more. Slice approximately half an onion into the cucumbers. Vidallia onions are the best, but I also use green onions from our garden too. In separate bowl, mix 1 1/2 cups sugar, 3/4 cup vinegar, and 1/4 cup water. Stir that mixture up well. Sprinkle with salt and lots of fresh ground pepper. Pour the vinegar solution into the cucumbers. Stir. Let cucumbers set in frig. for several hours before serving. Stir again right before serving. The longer they set, the softer they become. I put this dish together in the morning if I want to serve it at supper time. We also like it the next day even though the cucumbers are softer they have a great flavor. As you eat the cucumbers and onions, just add more sliced cucumbers and onions to the vinegar solution you already have. Use that solution until the vinegar gets weak. I will use it for 2 to 3 times before I discard and make a new solution.
grace and peace,
julie

No comments: