Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Tomato Relish Recipe

This is my favorite relish recipe in the world. I love to have dried beans and a heaping spoon full of tomato relish. Dried beans have always been one of my favorite foods since I can remember. Unfortunately my children did not inherit my love of dried beans. They eat them because I make them, but it doesn't come with much joy. I will be canning some Tomato Relish in the next day or two because we have an excess of tomatoes and peppers. Hope you enjoy the recipe!

Tomato Relish
1 gallon ripe tomatoes, peeled, chopped, and drained
1 bunch of celery, chopped fine
7 large onions, chopped fine
6 sweet green bell peppers, chopped fine
4 banana peppers, chopped fine
2 hot green peppers, chopped fine

1 1/2 pints apple cider vinegar
4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Mix all together and cook over slow heat until thick. This takes about 3 1/2-4 hours. Be sure to stir often to keep from burning. Put in hot pint jars and seal. Process in water bath for 15 minutes.

grace and peace,
julie

1 comment:

Paula said...

Julie,
This sounds really good! Thanks for sharing the recipe. I've never had dried beans, but I do love bean plucked right off the vine. Anything directly from the garden is the best!
Paula