Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Strawberry Butter

Our strawberries that we planted last month are doing wonderful. I am faithfully picking off the blooms during this first growing season. I think that one of the hardest things for me to do in the garden/orchard is to pick off the blooms of young plants/trees. I know it is best for the plant, but it seems counterproductive.

Since our strawberries won't be ready to pick until next year, I purchased a case of strawberries from a local farm. I spent part of the weekend making strawberry jam. I made 18 pints. I also have made several different desserts using strawberries. I have a wonderful looking recipe for a Baptist Pound cake. I may try that this afternoon. If it is as yummy as it looks, I will share the recipe in another post. We have eaten fresh strawberries until we are about to pop! I also made a batch of strawberry syrup to go with pancakes that my son made for Mother's Day Breakfast. I still was looking for something different to do with fresh strawberries and I remembered going to a restaurant in Ky. and eating Strawberry Butter. It was heavenly so I made a batch. This butter keeps well in the refrigerator, and it is great on homemade bread. Enjoy!!

Strawberry Butter
2 sticks of butter (not margarine), softened
1/2 to 3/4 cups of sliced fresh strawberries
1/4- 1/2cup powder sugar (depending on how sweet you want the butter)

Whip butter in a mixer until light and fluffy. Add strawberries and mix. Add powder sugar. Mix.
Add one more stick of COLD butter cut up into chunks. (This gives the butter a beautiful whipped consistency). Mix again until fluffy. Store in pint jars in the refrigerator. Serve on warm bread, biscuits, or even pancakes!

grace and peace,
julie

3 comments:

Marci said...

Strawberry butter sounds really good. It is not quite strawberry season up here. You have given me lots of ideas though. =)

Amy said...

That sounds good! My dad would love that for pancakes. He doesn't like syrup, so he usually just puts jelly on them...This could be a nice alternative.:)

TnFullQuiver said...

Marci,
I am glad I could get your wheels turning with strawberry ideas. It won't be long and you will be biting into fresh strawberries.

Amy,
It is a nice alternative to syrup. It is best to let it set out for a little while before you serve it. It just helps to soften it a bit.
I can't wait to hear all about your trip when you get back!!!! God is so good!!!
grace and peace,
julie