Friday, December 12, 2008

A Healthy Snack


Several years ago, we started ordering fruit from local baseball teams. They take the orders ahead of time and then the fruit is sent in from Florida. This is almost as good as being in Florida and purchasing the fruit from the groves. We did that a lot when we lived there. I noticed that my kids weren't eating the oranges as quickly as I thought they should. I wondered what the problem was and I did some investigating. I asked each child about why the didn't eat the oranges. Each child said it was a lot of trouble peeling them. I had a fix for that. Now every morning I cut oranges and place them in a bow. I leave the peel on because I don't want to take the time to peel them all either. I leave the bowl in the refrigerator, but I take it out often throughout the day and place it on the counter. As the kids start looking for snacks, they ALWAYS grab the oranges. They usually grab the oranges over the sweet things. I will even set a bowl of oranges on our breakfast table. My kids love this sweet treat, and I feel great because I know they are eating something good for them.
grace and peace,
julie

5 comments:

Marci said...

Our local FFA kids sell the oranges. I used to sell them when I was in FFA YEARS ago. :) We just got ours last night!!

Unknown said...

i just drank a glass of fresh squeezed oj from lake wales grove. you might have peter the great but we got oranges.

TnFullQuiver said...

Marci,
I hope your fruit is as good as ours has been! Enjoy

Kay,
Yes, you have us beat with your orange groves. I do miss the beauty of Florida groves and the fresh goodness that comes off those trees! I remember the first time I ever saw oranges and grapefruits hanging on trees. I was amazed by it all. Enjoy your day!!

grace and peace,
julie

Unknown said...

that is something i will miss and something i have bemoaned as the bulldozer's have wrecked havoc with all these new subdivisions. already missing them but even with that i still want a peter the great and cow patties, ha!

Farmhouse Blessings said...

That is a lovely idea ~ thank you for sharing it.

Smiles,
Lea