Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Canning Dill Pickles

I was surprised the other day when I headed to the garden to cut flowers and instead I ended up cutting dill. The surprise came when I found cucumbers large enough to make dill pickles. Canning dill pickles is about as easy as it gets in the world of canning. A brine is made of vinegar, water, and canning salt. Poke clean cucumbers and fresh dill in the jars. Pour brine over the cucumbers and place in a water bath for a few minutes. I also add a red pepper and a clove or two of garlic to my pickles. We like the kick that is provided.

Here are a few jars of my handiwork. Yum...all that is needed is a nice fat sandwich...oh, and a glass of sweet tea!
grace and peace
julie

4 comments:

Marci said...

I've always cut mine into slices. I will have to try whole ones. I also add a couple of grape leaves to the jar. It is supposed to help keep them crisp.

Mountain Mama said...

Yum! And the jars are beautiful. I would probably decorate the kitchen with a few of them.

TnFullQuiver said...

Marci,
I will try the grape leaves in my next batch. That is if we can keep the sheep out of them!!! Thanks for the tip.

Ashley,
I was just thinking about doing this very thing. When we lived in our tiny farmhouse, I didn't have much cabinet space. I put all of my canning jars on top of the cabinets. It was functional and beautiful.

grace and peace,
julie

Anonymous said...

Do this turn out to be crisp?

I've not had luck with my dill pickles staying crisp unless I make cold pack pickles.

I also want to invite you to participate in the first edition of the The Carnival of Home Preserving that will be posted at Laura Williams' Musings on Monday July 14th.

http://laurawilliamsmusings.blogspot.com/2008/07/introducing-carnival-of-home-preserving.html

It is a Carnival to Share Recipes and How-To's for Canning, Freezing, Dehydrating (drying), and Root Cellaring of Fruits, Vegetables, and Herbs.


Deadline to Submit: every Sunday at 2pm EST

Carnival is to be posted by that Monday on the respective Host's blog.



Link To Submit Post: Blog Carnival Submission
http://blogcarnival.com/bc/submit_4663.html

Everyone is welcome to join in.

Laura