Thursday, October 11, 2007

Pickled Jalapenos and Frozen Corn on the Cob

Here are two recipes that have been requested from me. Hope you enjoy!!!

Pickled Jalapenos
Cut peppers into rings. Scald peppers in boiling water for approx. 15 seconds. Remove from boiling water and drop in ice cubes to stop the cooking process. Drain well. Pack in hot pint jars.

Boil: 2cups apple cider vinegar and 1 cup sugar until sugar is dissolved.
Pour liquid over peppers, and seal with a hot lid and ring. Make sure jars seal because you do not process these peppers in a boiling water bath. It may take several hours for the jars to seal. Just check the seal before storing. You will also want to use rubber gloves when you cut the peppers!!!! (Trust me on this)!

Frozen Corn on the Cob
Boil corn in water for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and immediately place corn in ice water to stop the cooking process. Leave in ice water for just a few minutes. Stand each ear of corn up in a dish rack. Leave standing until dry and cool to touch. Wrap each ear of corn separately in tinfoil. Freeze.

To prepare for a meal: Thaw corn at room temperature. Place in boiling water for about 2-3 minutes until heated.

I thought this woman was crazy when she gave me this recipe. (You know I am going to stand 3oo ears of corn up in a dish drainer to dry!! However, she told me that was what made it so good frozen because it allowed all the water to drain off so it would freeze better. I was still skeptical so I only did 5 dozen ears this way. It was very good, and I usually don't like frozen corn on the cob. I didn't have a dish drainer so I took some baskets from my freezer and use them in the same manner).

grace and peace,
julie

2 comments:

momanna98 said...

Yippee! Yippee! Thank you!

TnFullQuiver said...

Momanna,
I hope you enjoy!
grace and peace,
julie