Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Homemade Cinnamon Rolls

These cinnamon rolls are a real treat. If you are really watching your weight, you might just want to skip this post all together!!!

I use the same recipe that I use to make my yeast rolls. It was posted yesterday. After the dough has risen the first time, instead of shaping it for rolls, I roll it out to make the cinnamon rolls.

I roll it thin...kind of like a thin crust pizza. Make sure you sprinkle flour on your board or counter top to make it easier to roll the dough.

Next, I use about a half a stick of soften butter. I spread that all over the dough. Then I sprinkle brown sugar, cinnamon and sugar, and pecans on the dough. (You could also sprinkle raisins or walnuts or dried fruit. My family doesn't like those things so I stick to the basics).Next start at the long end and roll it up jelly roll fashion.When you are finished rolling the dough, you will have a long snake of cinnamon roll goodness.I then take a serrated knife and cut each roll. Place them in a greased baking dish. I use my pampered chef stone pan for this, but I have also used regular round cake pans in the past.I put them as close together as I can in the pan so they will rise tall.Here they are after they have risen for about 30 minutes. They are now ready to bake.I bake them in a 375 degree oven for about 18 to 20 minutes. Check them after about 15 minutes to make sure they aren't getting too brown. After they have finished baking, I take them out to cool for a bit. While they are cooling, I make an icing for them. I take about a stick of soften butter, add some powder sugar, vanilla, and a tiny bit of milk to make it spreadable. I then spread it on the hot rolls. I serve these with lots of cold milk and hot coffee! If I were to ever open a Bed and Breakfast, these rolls would be at the top of my breakfast menu. Hope you enjoy!!!

grace and peace,
julie























































3 comments:

Mountain Mama said...

Here I come! Wow!! Those look incredible.
When we make wheat bread, I use our Bosch which makes enough dough for 6 loaves and we save one of them for cinnamon rolls. One thing we add for sweetness is grated apple.
I really like your yeast roll recipe. We will try it. Have you ever tried whole wheat?
blessings,
ashley

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe! I can only hope my cinnamon rolls turn out as delicious as yours. I can still taste them. Ahhh, melt in your mouth cinnamon rolls!!! I miss you and Cheri!

Pam

Farmhouse Blessings said...

I can hardly wait to give these a try. My family is going to be very happy!

Blessings,
Lea