Saturday, May 17, 2008

Spinach Salad Recipe


This salad may just be my new favorite. It was such a tangy sweet combination that Michael and I both really enjoyed. By the way, you may want to let children and especially teenagers know that the strawberries in this salad aren't the normal everyday flavor. Our second son took a bite out of his strawberry and literally spit it right back out with a horrible look on his face. With his nose all wrinkled up, he announced that his strawberry had vinegar on it. At first I was a bit irritated with him, but then I realized what a shock it would be if you thought you were eating a sweet dessert strawberry and instead you got a strawberry covered in salad dressing!
Spinach Salad with Strawberries
A large bowl of fresh baby spinach
Green onions sliced
Sugared almonds or pecans
Fresh Strawberries cut in halves
Dressing
1/2 cup oil
2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
3 Tablespoons Sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 to 10 drops of hot sauce
Squeeze a few strawberries to add some juice to the dressing. The dressing will be a light pink color when you get enough strawberry juice in it.
Mix dressing together. I let mine set in the refrigerator for a few hours to let the flavors blend.
Sugared Almonds
melt a few tablespoons of sugar in a stainless steel pan. Stir constantly. When the sugar has melted, add enough almonds (about 1/2 to 3/4 cup) to glaze. Stir quickly just until glazed and pour directly in bowl to cool. When cooled break into pieces.
To serve the salad: Mix the spinach strawberries and green onions in a large glass bowl. Add the almonds, and pour enough of the dressing to cover the salad. Toss. Serve immediately.
Enjoy!!
grace and peace,
julie

3 comments:

Amy said...

That sounds so good!
I just wanted to say good bye...I'll see you when I return.:)

God Bless,
Amy:)

TnFullQuiver said...

Amy,
Have a blessed trip!!!! I can't wait to hear all about it when you get home!
grace and peace,
julie

Mountain Mama said...

I LOVE strawberry/spinach salad. Your recipe looks great. I will give it a try.
ashley