Friday, September 18, 2009

Wonderful Banana Nut Bread

The first time I made this banana bread I knew I had found a jewel of a treasure. I also knew that if I were to ever open up my own restaurant, this bread would be on the menu. Yes, it is that good. I like to eat mine with a cup of coffee outside while the autumn breeze is blowing! This bread screams "Autumn!" the whole time you are eating it. Enjoy!!!

3/4 cup butter, softened
1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups mashed bananas (about 4 medium bananas)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups chopped pecans, divided

Orange Glaze
1 cup powder sugar
3 Tablespoons orange juice

In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Add bananas and vanilla. Mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, add to creamed mixture. Fold in 1 cup of pecans. Transfer to 2 greased loaf pans. Sprinkle with remaining pecans. Bake at 350 for 1 hour to 1 1/4 hours or until toothpick comes out clean. (I baked mine for an hour). Remove from oven and let set for 10 minutes on a wire rack before removing from pans. As soon as the bread is removed from the pans, drizzle glaze over warm bread. (This bread is best if allowed to sit for a day before cutting. I usually bake mine first thing in the morning, and then we enjoy it that evening or the next day. Since it makes two loaves, I always freeze one of the loaves for another occasion. Let the bread cool completely. Wrap in tinfoil and freeze. To serve, remove it from the freezer the day before you want to eat). (This recipe was found in Taste of Homes Magazine).

grace and peace,
julie

7 comments:

Carmen S. said...

OH MY gosh does that look delicious! I've never had it with glaze on top, what a great addition! I made your puppy chow this morning...can't seem to stay out of it!!! I work part time at a veterinary clinic and always give the Dr.'s goodies at Christmas time and since this is called "puppy chow" this would be perfect! I did have a lil' mishap though (tee-hee) I got a defective zipper bag, when I went to start shaking in the sugar...well, next time I will check the bag:) Thanks again for sharing this and all your wonderful posts:)

bsadams said...

this looks awesome, can't wait to try it!!!!

Boysaplenty!! said...

mmmmm....that looks yummy!! I always use my Mom's recipe when my bananas get over-ripe but this recipe sounds like a nice change! I bet I won't be able to put one in the freezer though, LOL! You posted it just in time too as I have ripe bananas ready to use, thanks!

TnFullQuiver said...

Hope y'all enjoy!!!
grace and peace,
julie

regina said...

Julie, this is wonderful. Do you mind if I share the recipe?
Regina

Mountain Mama said...

Oh no, another wonderful looking recipe from Julie! You are killing me! We made the Puppy chow. Not once, not twice but three times and the third time, we DOUBLED it! Have we gone mad? Maybe not mad, but we are getting bigger around the waistline. :)

Looks like we are going to have to try this one. Thanks for sharing it.
blessings,
ashley

Mountain Mama said...
This comment has been removed by the author.