Friday, September 12, 2008

Homemade Granola


Our family loves homemade granola. Whenever I have granola made, Michael keeps a jar at his desk and Matthew keeps another jar at school. It is a great snack or breakfast cereal. The trick to making granola is in the cooking process. I believe our 4 year old could mix it up, but cooking the stuff can be more challenging. I let mine cool on the counter as in the above picture. Once it is cooled, if it isn't crunchy enough, I will put it back on a pan and bake it some more. I have learned that the granola should be a nice brown color.
8 cups oats (I like the regular oats)
1 cup of brown sugar or honey (this can be played with...if you like less sugar, cut back or you can add more depending on your taste).
1/2 bag of coconut
1 teaspoon salt
Nuts (again do your own thing. I usually add pecans and almonds. I have added walnuts before)
In measuring cup Mix: 3 Tablespoons vanilla, 1 Tablespoon Oil, and fill rest of the way up with water. If you want a cinnamon flavor, add 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon. Mix the liquid into the oats. Stir well.
Bake in a 325 oven for about 45 minutes on jelly roll pans. Stir about every 15 minutes. Cool completely and store in air tight container.
Once it is cooled, you can sprinkle in some chocolate chips if you would like. I have also added some of the mini m&m's before.
grace and peace,
julie

11 comments:

Amy said...

I want to try this...Shannon and I love to put granola on our oatmeal in the morning....And granola is pricey, so we would really like to be able to make our own.

I'll be back for your recipe....Oh, and just add some chocolate chips to a container for me, and I'll just swing by and pick it up later.;)

Amy said...

I've tagged you for a meme...If you would like to play, hop over to my blog.:)

Anonymous said...

for the ones of us who are "challenged" in the kitchen, how about telling us how big of a measuring I cup. I have them from one cup up to four cups, that may make a difference :O) Or, you could just mail me some and I won't have to worry about it...

love you guys, tall my baby boy Sethie Aunt Kelly says "hi"

Anonymous said...

you can also "tell" Seth..lol

Anonymous said...

... do I pour the contents of the measuring cup over the cookie sheet of oats, etc, or do I throw it all in a bowl and mix it all together?

TnFullQuiver said...

Melissa,
Thanks for pointing out the fact that I didn't explain the mixing process. It was early!!! Yes, just pour the liquid over the oats, coconut, and nuts. Sorry about that!

Kelly,
I'll tell him you said "Hi" and I'LL drink some dew for him. Since we will be dining on much yummier things than granola at Thanksgiving, I'll tell you that you use a ONE cup measuring cup. (Unless you have a four cup one, then you could use that and fill it up 2 times so in the end you get about a total of 8 CUPS of oats!!! I bet Robbie won't eat homemade granola...well, don't tell him it has oats in it because I KNOW he won't eat oatmeal or cream of wheat or cereal or well you get the idea!!!!

Amy,
I'll check it out! Thanks!!

grace and peace,
julie

Anonymous said...

Yummy! Thanks for sharing (I'm noting this)

Amy Ellen said...

This sounds yummy, I am going to have to try this one.

Thanks for sharing
Amy

Amy Ellen said...

This sounds yummy, I am going to have to try this one.

Thanks for sharing
Amy

Kel said...

Jules,
You'd be amazed, but Rob loves oatmeal. He has to make it himself because I can't stand the smell of it :O)

Also, as of this Thursday I will be two weeks "Dew" free. I gave it up. I quit all caffeine and Aspertame hoping I can feel and sleep better. It has not worked yet, still no sleep and major withdawals but I am doing good with it.

Love ya,
Kel

TnFullQuiver said...

Kelly,
Seth will be so disappointed in your new willpower!! I hope it helps. I think it takes awhile for it to all kick in and sleep to come. Don't kill Robbie in one of your withdrawal moods, I happen to really like him!!!
love ya,
julie