Thursday, December 11, 2008

Best Sugar Cookie Recipe

2 sticks Butter
2 cups sugar
1 cup oil
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon baking soda
5 cups all purpose flour

Cream together the first 3 ingredients. Add eggs and vanilla, beating well. Mix the dry ingredients together. Add to the creamed mixture. Mix well.Let set in refrigerator for at least an hour to chill. Form into balls and roll into sugar. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and flatten with the bottom of a glass. Bake at 350 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes.


This is our favorite sugar cookie recipe. It makes a lot. If one batch is too much for your needs, freeze half of it and bake the rest. It freezes well if you can keep the teenage boys from eating the frozen dough! Here are a couple of tips for this recipe...it is a very soft dough and will make a soft cookie. This would not be a cookie to mail to someone. I have even had trouble taking it to potlucks unless I package them very carefully. They are soft and will break easily. If I want to use this dough to make cut out sugar cookies, I take out only the portion I will need to make that batch of cookies. I leave the rest in the refrigerator. After rolling them out, I usually bake them just a smidgen longer so they won't be as soft. We then make up a Royal Icing and decorate the cookies.

grace and peace,
julie

4 comments:

Andrea Cherie said...

Do you make these with regular store bought white flour, or with fresh ground soft wheat?...I've been experimenting with soft wheat in baked goodies and am curious!

TnFullQuiver said...

Andrea Cherie,
I have never tried to use the fresh ground soft wheat in this recipe. My family doesn't like their traditional recipes altered with the fresh ground wheat. I usually use the fresh ground wheat in new recipes to them. If you try it, let me know how it works!
grace and peace,
julie

Farmhouse Blessings said...

Ooooo those sound just like what my son Luke has been asking for. We are planning to make gingerbread boys tomorrow and I do believe I'll add this to the menu.

Thank you again,
Lea

Farmhouse Blessings said...

I forgot to say that your little baker there is just darling!

Smiles,
Lea