Thursday, April 15, 2010

Baptist Pound Cake with Strawberries and Cream

I am not a lover of Pound Cake, but I did happen to like this one.  My mom said that this is the best pound cake that she has ever eaten.  She gave me the recipe.  Of course I don't want pound cake unless you add sugared fruit in this case strawberries.  I also like a dollop of fresh whip cream.  (No cool whip for me...you can keep that in the plastic bowl it came in)!

My next  piece of advice for serving the perfect pound cake is to watch the English Mastiff.  I know she looks like she is sleeping, but it is a ploy.  She is really waiting for all of us to get sidetracked and forget about her.  (Ask me how I know)!!!  She ate HALF of the whole pound cake.  She would have eaten it all, but her tongue was too short to reach any more of the cake.  She wanted me to let you know that she doesn't care if you want to add Cool Whip instead of Whipping Cream.  She likes either, but she prefers that you don't add the sugared fruit on hers! 

Baptist Pound Cake

1/2 cup shortening
2 sticks butter
3 cups sugar
5 large eggs
3 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

Cream butter and shortening until light.  Add sugar gradually.  Add eggs, beating well after each addition.  Sift flour and baking powder together.  Add alternately with milk to creamed mixture.  Stir in vanilla.  Pour into a greased and floured tube pan.  Start cake in a COLD oven.  Do not preheat oven.  Bake at 325 for about an hour and 5 to 15 minutes.  (I baked mine for an hour and 15 minutes).  Bake until golden brown and tests done.  Let cool in pan on wire rack for about 20 minutes.  Turn out of pan onto serving platter and let cool.  Serve with sugared strawberries and homemade whip cream.  Above all, keep the English Mastiff away from the cake!

Recipe Disclaimer:  It is called a pound cake for a reason.  History says the name pound cake came from a pound of butter, a pound of eggs, and a pound of sugar.  I disagree with that.  I think the name comes from the fact that when you eat it you will gain a pound for every bite!  Don't call me with your complaints of weight gain after consuming this cake!!!

2 comments:

Carmen S. said...

LOL, what a stinker she is:D I don't much care for cool whip either, it tastes like the container it comes in, that cake looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

LOL your dog is so cute. The pound cake looks delicious! I made homemade rolls tonight with honey butter for the first time and I know why they named those "rolld" :O I have to have more now than when I started :O lol