Thursday, July 05, 2007

Pasture Clean-up and Blackberries Galore




We went to the back part of our farm today. We have a pasture there that we haven't taken care of over the past three years. I was amazed at how many trees can grow up in a pasture over what I consider a short period of time. Michael has started mowing and cutting down small trees every evening. He has made good progress over the last few nights. The above picture shows his handy work. While he is doing that, I am out picking blackberries. Our berries are becoming ripe at different stages. This is great for me because I think we will have berries over the next month. I found a great fruit crisp recipe yesterday in our local newspaper. I am including the recipe in this post. While I was picking blackberries, I set the bag down for a moment. Seth accidentally stepped on the bag crushing a portion of the berries. I brought them home, and immediately made this crisp. It was wonderful. I had been looking for a recipe like this to work with blackberries for quite a while.


Fruit Crisp

3 cups fresh fruit
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch

1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
Pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3 Tablespoons butter
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter 1-quart shallow baking pan. Mix 1/2 cup sugar and cornstarch together and toss with fruit. Place fruit in baking dish.

In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, salt, and cinnamon. Add butter and blend with pastry cutter until mixture is crumbly. Add oats and pecans and mix well. Spread evenly on top of fruit. Place pan in oven and bake 25 minutes until fruit is bubbly. I baked mine for about 30 minutes.

Serve warm or cold. I would love this recipe with some homemade vanilla ice cream. YUM


grace and peace,

julie

1 comment:

Unknown said...

going back over your recipes, i think i'll love this but is that with self rising or all purpose?

thanks so much
kay