Friday, July 20, 2007

Home Again, Home Again, Jiggity Jig




Our calf is coming home from our neighbor's herd more often now. We are hoping that she will slip back through our fence to nurse, and then just stay home. We are working on getting Lizzie to come to us to eat grain. After all, we should have already started milking her. We are still not for sure how to go about that since we don't have a milking area. As you can see from the last picture, our horses have to butt their noses into EVERYTHING!! They can't stand the thought of Lizzie getting a bucket of grain. Our farm is set up in such a manner that the entire 17 acres is fenced around the perimeter. The only division that we have is this fence that you see in the bottom picture. It divides our backyard from the rest of the farm fields. We are trying to figure out how to separate the milk cow from the rest of the group. We are wanting to do this project with the least amount of money possible as well as the least amount of time and effort possible. This isn't because we are lazy, but we have so many other things pressing us at the moment that we can't get involved in a large project. However, as I was standing in the milk aisle at our cheapest grocery store, I was having a fit. In just one week, our milk went from being around $3.79 a gallon to $4.79. My numbers may be off by a few cents, but the point is that it went up over a dollar in one week. That same morning I bought gas at $2.74. By that night, the gas was back up to $2.89. I was fussing and fuming about the prices going up up up. My 13 year old son in his laid back way said,"Well, Mom. I would suggest you get out there and milk that cow that you bought if you don't like the milk prices here". I looked at him, and he had a huge grin on his face. He had gotten me good. But I will have the last laugh....it will be HIM out there milking that cow with his Dad of course!!!!
grace and peace,
julie

No comments: