Friday, September 14, 2007

Green Tomato Side Dish Recipe

My mom gave me a recipe for Pickled Green Tomatoes. She told me that it really isn't a relish, but more like a side dish that I just HAD to try. In fact,she guaranteed that I would like it. I decided to make several batches of it even though it didn't sound all that great. I also decided that if we didn't like it, I would include the jars that I made as part of her Christmas gifts this year. Yesterday, I mad a pot of Pinto Beans and I opened our first jar of Pickled Green Tomatoes. Michael and I BOTH loved it. I haven't shared the recipe up until now because I don't like to share recipes that I haven't tried myself. I don't think of these as "Pickles", but I think of them as truly a side dish to a meal. In Ky, one of the local fish restaurants serves this dish with the platter of fish. I loved them with beans, and my mom says they go great with any meat. On top of our thing to do list for this weekend, will be to gather more green tomatoes and peppers!!! I will be making SEVERAL more batches of this recipe over the weekend.

Pickled Green Tomatoes
8 cups chopped green tomatoes
2 large onions chopped
2 Hot peppers chopped fine
2 green peppers chopped
2 Tablespoons Canning Salt

Cover above ingredients with water. Let set for 2 hours. Drain.
In a large stock pot stir together:
2 1/2 cups sugar
2 cups Apple Cider Vinegar
1 teaspoon Celery Seed
1 Tablespoon Mustard Seed
Add Drained Tomatoes to above brine. Heat until boiling. Once boiling, Boil for 3 minutes. Have jars hot and lids hot so they will seal. Place tomatoes in pint or quart jars. Make sure they seal for extended storage. ( yields approximately 3- 4 pints)

When I made this recipe, I used small green tomatoes and I quartered the tomatoes. I chopped my onions and peppers like I would for tomato sauce. I also switched out green peppers for red peppers. I had them in the garden, and I thought they were pretty with the green tomatoes. I hope you enjoy!

grace and peace,
julie

2 comments:

Paula said...

YEAH!! My neighbor and I were just talking about this recipe the other day, but neither of us had a copy of it. We both have tomatoes that will not ripen before the season ends. What to do with them? Now we know!! Julie, thanks for posting your recipe.

TnFullQuiver said...

Paula,
Having green tomatoes and not wanting them to go to waste was the beginning of me getting this recipe from my mom. I was skeptical, but was I ever glad that I listened to mom (once again)!! I hope you enjoy. If they are too sweet for your liking, cut the sugar back a bit. I like this recipe because it was a bit sweet. Enjoy!!!!!
julie