Wednesday, September 26, 2007

My Children Keep Me Humble!!!!!

I love my children to pieces. They are truly a gift from the Lord into my life. God gave us 5 beautiful living children, and I lost 5 babies to miscarriages. I remember the days before our first child was born. I really wondered if we would ever have children. I wanted to be a mother so badly, but I couldn't make it happen. I finally gave the whole issue back to the Lord, and I got to a place that I would trust God even if children were never a part of our life. This was not an easy journey, but I truly decided that I could trust God no matter the outcome.

Michael and I have been parents for 16 1/2 years. I have finally figured out my children!!!! I believe that they have a meeting in the basement and play "Paper, Rocks, Scissors, Shoot" to determine which child is going to drive Michael and/or I crazy on that particular day or week or month. When the "winning" child decides that the heat has been on him or her for too long, the game starts again, and a new child is designated to the job. Let me explain myself. For several months, our oldest son has been the designated one. There have been times that I have been so outdone with him over the last few months. About the time I decided that I am going to shake him until his teeth falls out, then a new person had been chosen. My oldest son came home with a smile on his face, and kissed me with greetings and salutations. You can only imagine my surprise. I did not expect this change, and I was confused. When our third son arrived through the door from ball practice, I expected my sweet loving 10 year old. Oh my...he must have won the latest "Paper, Rock,Scissors,Shoot" match because he now is the grumpy one!!! The saga continues....

I was really pondering this whole point, and I realized that God gave Michael and I children to keep us humble. (I am sure that this isn't the only reason, but it is one of the reasons). About the time I find myself feeling good about the parenting job I am doing, along comes another game of "Paper, Rock,Scissors, Shoot", and one of my little darlings turn into something that I shall not even name!! Everyday, I find myself going to the Lord to get a strategy for these children as well as for myself. Everyday I am humbled, and there is nothing wrong with this. It is good to be humble....even if the children MAKE you that way!!!!! I would rather them make me humble than crazy!!!!!!!

grace and peace,
julie

1 comment:

Paula said...

Julie,
Another great story!! "Paper, Rock, Scissors, Shoot" - love it!!
Paula