Thursday, September 13, 2007

Farm Happenings


The air is starting to feel different here in East Tennessee. I went out this morning before dawn to let our dog out, and it was chilly. Last night while we were in the garden, I noticed a slight chill in the air. I love fall so much, and I love the change of seasons. I find that as the seasons change, our dinner menus change as well. Last night I made Baked chicken and dressing, sweet potato casserole, and garden green beans. It was a nice change of pace from our summer menu.
The chickens are enjoying the cooler weather too. Michael gathered 9 eggs yesterday. This is much better than the 2 eggs that we gathered the entire month of August!
Work continues on the hog pen. Michael will be doing some work on the barn to house the hogs. Our barn needs so much attention so I am looking forward to it getting a bit of a clean up as well as a fix up. Our neighbor stopped by yesterday. This is the same neighbor that offered us a cow for a good price. The calf was suppose to be born sometime in the next 3 months, but they found out the little thing was born yesterday. They couldn't find it yesterday evening so we will look for it today. I pray all is well with the little thing because the deal is even better with 2 cows for the price of one! We considered trading our jersey calf that was born in June, but we decided that for now we will keep her. (I am getting weary with her escapes)! Michael has fixed the fence so many times, but she always finds a place to slip through. Her mother has become a very calm cow. She comes to us now when we are in the field. Our goal is to milk her, but our barn needs so much work. Michael did work with her some yesterday, and she was fine with him going over her milk sac. I think she will allow us to milk her now. She has come along way since June when we couldn't even get near her. We will need to purchase milking supplies soon, and I am excited about this update.
grace and peace,
julie

2 comments:

Paula said...

Congratulations on your new calf! I enjoy reading about your day-to-day life on the farm. The weather here is changing, as well. The last few days have been acting a lot more like fall. Thanks for posting. :)
Paula

TnFullQuiver said...

Paula,
I also enjoy your blog. It is so much to see what other people are doing in their life. Plus we can share our farm ideas and help out one another. Hope you have a great weekend.
julie