Monday, April 14, 2008

Strawberry Syrup and Strawberry Cobbler Recipes

Strawberry Syrup

1 Tub frozen Strawberries with syrup (fresh would work well too)
1 cup sugar
Heat above ingredients. Dissolve 1 Tablespoon corn starch in a small amount of cold water. I use less than 1/4 cup cold water. Stir into hot strawberries. Cook on medium heat until thickened.

This syrup is wonderful on pancakes, french toast, or waffles. I bet it would also be great as an ice cream topper!

Strawberry Cobbler
About 2 cups frozen strawberries with syrup (fresh would work fine, but you need to sugar them first so that the sugar can dissolve into liquid)

Mix: 1 Cup Self Rising flour, 1 cup Milk, and 1 Cup Sugar. Stir well.

This cobbler isn't large enough to fill a 9x13 size baking pan, but it is a little more than a brownie pan will handle. I use a corning ware dish that is a bit smaller than a 9x13.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place one stick of butter in baking dish and melt in oven. When butter has melted, dump strawberries into baking pan. Pour flour mixture on top of strawberries. Bake for about 45 minutes or until top is brown and strawberries are bubbly. (My favorite way to have this cobbler is to make it with frozen peaches. It is a quick winter dessert that adds a taste of summer to the supper table)!

I always freeze extra strawberries during strawberry season. This way we can enjoy the flavor all year long. I use ziploc freezer bags. I usually add sugar to my strawberries and then let them set until the sugar has dissolved. I then measure out 1 cup of strawberries and syrup into a quart bag, and freeze them. When I go to my freezer, I know that each bag of strawberries is a cup. This helps when I am measuring for different recipes.

I also make tons of strawberry jam for our family. This is our favorite jam in the world. I love Strawberry Freezer Jam because it tastes like fresh strawberries all year long. I also love cooked Strawberry Jam.
Hope you enjoy the recipes!
grace and peace,
julie

No comments: