Saturday, December 06, 2008

White Bean Chili Recipe

Yesterday I was in a bind to find something for dinner. I also knew my time was limited and I needed a quick fix. The problem was I haven't gone grocery shopping since way before Thanksgiving. I was out of many staples in my pantry. I pulled out a whole chicken and decided to make homemade chicken noodle soup. As my chicken cooked in my big stock pot, I started looking around for recipes and I found the recipe for White Bean Chili. I changed my mind and made the chili instead. Oh my, was it ever good. This will become a family favorite!! Hope you enjoy the recipe.
grace and peace,
julie

White Bean Chili

1 pound dried Great Northern Beans

2 medium onions chopped and sauteed in olive oil

3 cans chopped green chilies, undrained (I used my home can jalapenos in place of the chilies)

4 cloves of garlic

2 teaspoons dried oregano

2 teaspoons ground cumin

6 cups chicken broth

5 cups chopped cooked chicken breast

4 cups Monterrey Jack Cheese (I used Cheddar Cheese because that is what I had on hand)

1/2 teaspoon salt (I increased the salt a bit)

Boil whole chicken to make chicken broth in a large stock pot. Once the chicken is done, remove and let cool to debone. Measure out the chicken broth.Add beans, onions, chilies, and seasonings to the six cups of chicken broth in the stock pot. Let cook until beans are done. Add chicken and cheese and let simmer until the cheese is melted.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Yum! Save me a bowl!;)

The Hill so Green said...

I will try this. It sounds great.

Anonymous said...

that's looks delicious. I can't wait to try it.
Regina