Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Enjoying the Season

I have so enjoyed having the living room decorated for Christmas this year. I find myself gravitating to the couch to enjoy the holiday look. The kids too are enjoying the decorations. I found our second son sleeping on the couch instead of in his bed.

Over the last few years I have felt a transition in our holidays. I used to spend much time making the holidays nice for my parents and Michael's family. The focus was on their time with us. The meals that I prepared where whatever they really enjoyed. Now, I find my focus shifting on more of my own children. I am not talking about gifts...I am talking about time and making memories. We discussed having Christmas in Kentucky with our parents. The kids were heartbroken that they wouldn't be home on Christmas morning. So we decided to spend a weekend in Kentucky and celebrate the holidays there and then come back to our home and have our own family Christmas here. My mom will be traveling back with us so that she won't be alone on Christmas day.

I have so enjoyed the entire month of December this year. Keep in mind, I still haven't bought any gifts or really baked any goodies. Those things will come in time. There is something special about just taking time to be still and enjoy the gifts that the Lord has given.

grace and peace,
julie

2 comments:

Marci said...

I like the simpler more laid back approach. Your fireplace is beautiful!!

TnFullQuiver said...

Marci,
I too like simple and laid back at the holidays. I think it helps to keep our minds focused on the Lord instead of the lists that need to be accomplished.
grac and peace,
julie