Thursday, October 23, 2008

Whole Wheat Bread


2 cups warm water
1/3 cup oil
1/2 cup honey (can use 1/4 cup if you want it less sweet)
3 1/2 teaspoons yeast
1 egg
6 cups freshly milled flour (may use whole wheat flour from grocery store)
2 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons gluten (optional)



Combine water, oil, honey, egg, yeast, salt. Stir well. Add 3 cups of flour and gluten. Mix thoroughly. Add remaining flour and knead until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes by hand). May need to add another 1/2 cup of flour to get the right consistency. Place in greased bowl. Let rise until double. Shape into rolls or loaves. Place in 2 greased loaf pans and let rise again. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. Take out of pans and cool on wire rack. Brush top of bread with butter while still hot.


For more great whole wheat bread recipes contact the Bread Beckers at http://www.breadbeckers.com/ I purchased their bread book and I have really enjoyed it. This recipe is from their book, but I have adapted it make it my own.

grace and peace,
julie

4 comments:

Amy said...

You are amazing!
Those loaves look beautiful and delicious!:)

Tell your husband that I said he was a blessed, blessed man indeed.;)

Have a lovely day, Julie!
God Bless,
Amy:)

TnFullQuiver said...

THANKS, Amy!!! Enjoy your weekend.
grace and peace,
julie

all in the family said...

This is my FAVORITE recipe from BB. I have made changes to mine and here it is:

2 cups hot water
1/3 c olive oil
1/3 c honey (I use raw)
1/4 c vital wheat gluten
1/4 c liquid lecithin
3 1/2 tsp yeast
5-6 cups milled flour
2 tsp salt

I let mine mix for 10 mins. Let rise in the Bosch for 60 mins and rise in pans for 60.

I have also mixed grains with mine. I do 3 c hard red, 1 1/2 cup soft white and 1 1/2 c 7 grain or ezekiel.

Betsy said...

Hi Julie, I don't know if you remember me from Hosanna Fellowship, but I came across your blog and started using this bread recipe and I love it! :) Thanks!

Betsy (Hopper) Herman