Tuesday, October 14, 2008

One of These Doesn't Belong to the Neighbor!!

We thought that our young cow Isabell had been keeping a calf that belonged to our neighbor. Over the weekend, I was concerned that the calf was on our property so much because I knew that it was young and needed its momma. The more we started looking the more the idea came that maybe it was Isabell's calf, but since we do not have a bull that seemed almost impossible.


After much reading and research about Jersey cows, we realized that Isabell could have come into her first heat cycle between 9 and 10 months of age. She is now 16 months old so the timing is right. As we stopped to think about it, we remembered that she kept going to the neighbor's farm often. Then one day she decided to stay at home. We figured she must like our farm more and perhaps she was too big to fit through the fences. Just a few weeks ago Michael mentioned that Isabell was the healthiest looking animal on the farm. She was nice and plump so we assumed she was getting enough to eat. What we didn't realize was that little Isabell was pregnant and the calf that we thought belonged to the neighbor was really ours. I am SO glad that we didn't catch the little calf and take it to the neighbor's and tell him that his newborn calf was missing. How embarrassing that would have been. He is always laughing at my ignorance of farm things so I am sure he would have gotten a belly laugh out of me trying to give away my calf. I am just thankful that Isabell and the calf are both fine. We are feeding Isabell extra to help her out. Because she is so young she is still a small cow so this young cow is now responsible for a new calf, but it looks like it is all working out fine. Who knows...maybe I will have a cow to milk before long!!!

grace and peace,

julie

6 comments:

Unknown said...

this is so funny, one of the funniest things i've ever read!something i would have done.

i enjoyed our time together so much. i felt like i was with my sisters, wait, i was with my sisters.

God is good and all the time
kay

Marci said...

Is she bagged up and have a full udder? You can usually tell if a calf is nursing because they slime what ever they suck on. Will Isabella let you get close to check out her teats?

motherofmany said...

I was wondering if that might have been the case since I've never know a calf to leave its mother except when she hides it in the grass. They're so well trained they don't get up for anything until you nearly step in them, and then they start bellering and mommma comes a runnin'!

Congrats! Is it a bull or a heifer?

TnFullQuiver said...

Kay,
I so enjoyed the time we had together!!! It was great to get meet y'all. Thanks so much for the honey...as you know, it is WONDERFUL!

Marci,
We have now seen her nurse so we know for sure that the calf is hers. Our dilema is that Isabell would had to have been 7 to 8 months when she first came into heat. We REALLY didn't know that was possible, but we now have proof it is possible!


Mother of Many,
That is the only question left to answer. My husband thinks it is a girl...I think it is a boy. He reminded me this morning that the last calf that I was SURE was a boy just GAVE BIRTH to another calf. Needless to say I am not very good at identification. I would be better if they would just stand still and let me get a good look!
grace and peace,
julie

Amy Ellen said...

Congrats on the new baby!! LOL, You are not the first person to have this happen to them. A good friend who had horses for years had purchased a new mare for riding. She looked plump and healthy, well a couple months down the road and well isn't the new baby girl sweet, LOL.

Amy

Mountain Mama said...

Hilarious! Maybe it is the first cow virgin birth. lol So glad Isabell did not need help from her humans to deliver. She did great. What a cute pair. Does baby have a name yet? - now that you know she is yours, you probably should give her a name.

The football feast looked delicious. Way to go!!
ashley