Sunday, October 26, 2008

Homemade Yeast Rolls (Step by Step)

Yeast rolls are one of my family's favorite form of bread. While they are not near as healthy as the whole wheat bread I make, I still put them on our dinner table often. These rolls can change a ho-hum meal into a real treat. This post will deal strictly with the process of making yeast rolls. I will post the recipe in the next post.


First start by mixing the wet ingredients. I also add my sugar, yeast, and salt in my mixing bowl. Don't forget to watch the water temperature!
Next, add the Bread flour. I use store bought bread flour, and I always buy the unbleached bread flour.Next start the mixer. If you don't have a mixer, then you start the kneading process by hand. Once the dough has mixed long enough, it will leave the sides of the bowl and form a ball.
I then place my dough in my greased bowl to rise in a warm oven. I always turn the oven off before putting the dough inside, and if it is too hot I leave the door cracked open. I give myself about an hour to let my dough rise. However, I left them for almost 4 hours this morning because I made the dough and then went to church. The rolls turned out wonderful so it didn't hurt them to let them set longer.The tools of the roll business are a rolling pin, a biscuit cutter, and a well greased pan. I bake my rolls in the pampered chef stoneware. I don't think you can beat it. In the past, I have used regular round cake pans. Also you will need a little bit of flour so that the dough won't stick to the board or the rolling pin.The next step is to roll the dough out to the thickness you desire. I then place my rolls in the greased stoneware. I like my rolls to rise tall and I have found that if I place the rolls close together they rise taller rather than just spread out in the pan. I then set my rolls in the oven again to rise. This takes about 30 minutes.

Here are the rolls after they have risen. I bake them at 375 for about 17 to 19 minutes.
They look like this after I have spread butter on the tops. I wish I could share a roll with you so you would know how soft and flavorful these rolls truly are! The recipe will be coming in the next post!!!
grace and peace,
julie


































3 comments:

Anonymous said...

They look delicious! Looking forward to the recipe.

TnFullQuiver said...

Diana,
Hope you enjoy them!!
grace and peace,
julie

Joie de vivre said...

First time on your site. I'm so glad to find it and I'm bookmarking it. I think I'll try your yeast roll recipe with the kids this Thanksgiving! Thanks!