Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Refrigerator Yeast Rolls

I love my regular yeast roll recipe.  My mom gave it to me.  You can find it here ,and here you can find the step by step instructions for making yeast rolls.  This recipe that I am going to share isn't quite as good as my mom's recipe.  Why would I make them you ask?  My answer is simple...TIME.  This recipe is designed to be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator up to 5 days.  It makes enough dough to make two or three batches of rolls depending on the amount you need per batch.  I had this dough tucked away in my refrigerator this morning.  Within 5 minutes of walking into the kitchen, I was rolling it out and making Cinnamon Rolls. You can find the step by step method of making cinnamon rolls here.  I eliminated the step of mixing the ingredients together and letting them rise for the first rising.  That saved me at least an hour if not more.  A word of caution...since the dough is cold when you start working with it, it will take a bit longer to rise.  I always warm my oven a little to help the rising of the rolls along the way.  (Pam, I am sorry it has taken me so long to get this recipe to you...hope you enjoy)!
grace and peace,
julie

Refrigerator Yeast Rolls

1 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons sat
1 cup boiling water
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 envelopes active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
6 cups Bread Flour

1.  Combine first three ingredients in large bowl; stir in 1 cup boiling water.  Cool.  Stir in eggs.
2.  Combine yeast and 1 cup warm water in a glass measuring cup.  Let stand 5 minutes. 
3.  Stir yeast mixture into egg mixture.
4  Gradually add flour, stirring until blended.  Knead until dough as come together.  I use my kitchen aide mixer for this.
5.  Cover dough and chill at least 4 hours.  Dough can be chilled up to 5 days in the refrigerator. 
6.  Whenever you decide to bake, pinch of one third of the dough.  You can use more or less depending on the amount of rolls you want to make.  To fill my round pampered chef baking pan, it takes almost half the dough. 
7.  Roll dough out on a flour surface.  Cut into rolls and place on lightly greased baking pan. 
8.  Let rise at room temperature about 1 hour or until doubled in size.  (This is where I use a warm oven.  It helps them to rise quicker.  Just make sure your oven isn't too warm)!
9.  Bake at 375 for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden.

1 comment:

Boysaplenty!! said...

Thanks Julie! Can't wait to try them. Did you find you bread slicer?