Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Teaching Reading

I have taught all of the above children to learn to read.  Much of my time as a mom was spent with a book and a kid on the couch.  All of my kids are excellent readers, and all of my kids love to read.  When Jacob entered public school this year, he came home one day and gave me a big hug.  He thanked me for taking the time to teach him to read.  He said that there are a lot of 7th grade kids who struggle with reading.  Jacob is the child that wanted to learn to read, but had a hard time sitting still for the lessons.  We would work on phonics for 10 minutes and then he would go bounce on the trampoline for 10 minutes.  When he came back in, we would work 10 more minutes and then he would go back outside to bounce.  This was my school day with him for years.  It made the school day longer, but in the end it was well worth the effort.  He brought home his report card yesterday.  He made a 100 for his reading grade!  Not only is he good at reading, but he enjoys it.  Our oldest son has decided that he is going to major in English for college.  He wants to be an English teacher for high school.  He too enjoys reading! 
What makes  a child like to read?  Start them young and make it fun.  I attribute my love of reading to my mom.  She too spent countless hours reading aloud to me as a child.  When I had my own children, I always left a basket of books in our living room.  Our baby was encouraged to get out the books and enjoy the pictures.  When my kids were younger, I always read aloud to them.  This wasn't school time. This was fun time.  I chose books that would be above their reading level, but they always had a great story line.  Jacob loves The Little House on the Prairie series of books.  He has never read one for himself.  I read them to him and his sister to make the story come alive for them when they were too young to read them alone.  My older boys will  sit down on the couch if they hear me reading to their younger siblings.  Reading aloud still draws the older kids into being mesmerized by a good story.  I love the fact that our college son comes home and discusses his reading assignments with me.  We have lively discussions about college topics and we have a good time with it.  What books do I recommend?
The Little House on the Prairie series
The Boxcar Children books
The American Girl books
Where the Red Fern Grows
Along Came a Dog
The Golden Goblet
Charlotte's Web
Lion Witch and the Wardrobe series
Fahreneit 451
Animal Farm
These are just a few books off the top of my head...but they are all well loved by our children.  Happy Reading!!!

grace and peace,
julie

6 comments:

Carmen S. said...

That's awesome, my son had all the boxcar children books and I enjoyed them as well! I remember reading the Little house on the prairie books when I was in elementary school:)

Paige said...

Little Women
Anne Of Green Gables
Lord of the Rings
The Hobbit
Elsie Dinsmore
Anything Jane Austen

All of those were great! We also read a ton and my other homeschool friends and I were always baffled by the fact that a lot of our college friends were overwhelmed by some of the "classics" we read as 7th and 8th graders. Reading is wonderful!

Boysaplenty!! said...

I agree with reading aloud to your little ones and choosing books above their reading level. This is excellent brain exercise! We (the children and I) are currently reading The Cat Of Bubastes by G.A. Henty. Wow! What an awesome author! It teaches a great history lesson about Ancient Egypt as well. We are studying World History so it meshes perfectly with our studies. All of Henty's books are highschool to adult reading level. I sometimes have to stop and explain due to the word usage but the boys are loving it!

Lynn Bartlett said...

One thing I have missed since our move to the country is time to spend reading to our boys. We used to spend an hour or two reading books together every morning. It's strange to think we have less time in the country than we did in the city, but then we didn't have chores like we do now. Instead, my husband reads to the boys before bed, and they especially love to hear Henty books.

Lynn said...

Oh, I used to love reading to my boys when they were younger. Such good memories. And it made them learn to love reading, too :) Neat that your kids have caught the reading bug!

TnFullQuiver said...

carmen,
I shared many of my childhood favorites with my own children. I was so thrilled when i realized that the Little House on the Prairie books were loved by my boys as well as my girl! I also loved the Ramona and the Pest books when i was a child. However, none of my children liked them at all.

Paige,
Thank you for adding to the list. Reading is wonderful!!!! Have a great day.

Pam and Lynn Bartlett,
Would you believe that we have never read Henty? After your all's recommendation, I think I am going to change that. Thanks for the suggestion!

Lynn,
I am glad your boys enjoyed a momma who read to them. Sometimes we all need a good book and some quiet time!

grace and peace,
julie