Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Twenty Years and Counting!

Today I went to Ky to pick up two of our children. They have been away for 9 days visiting with grandparents. They had a wonderful time, but I sure am happy to have them back home in our nest once again. It was strange only having three children around our dinner table! It was even more odd taking our car to a baseball game instead of driving our suburban. Our family doesn't all fit in Michael's car, but since we only had three kids we were able to all fit snugly.

Today is also our 20th wedding anniversary. I truly can't believe it has been 20 years already. It just doesn't seem like it should be that long. We have enjoyed the journey very much over the last 20 years. I am so thankful to the Lord for what He has done in our life and our marriage as well as our family. We started out our marriage as best friends, and we still remain best friends. I think that is one of the keys to a happy marriage. Michael and I never dated. In fact I was engaged to be married to someone else. Michael stopped by the bowling alley and asked my boyfriend if he could stop by my place of employment and say "goodbye" to me. He was leaving to go to the Navy in three days. My boyfriend said that it was fine for Michael to see me. (Boy, I bet he was sorry about that decision)! To make a long story short, I reconnected with my best friend, and shared my heart with him once again. He was very honest with me and gave me Godly sound advice. I headed his advice. I broke up with my boyfriend and cancelled the wedding plans. While Michael was in boot camp, we wrote letters back and forth. Again we shared information as best friends not as people who were interested in a relationship. Michael finally had a chance to call me during the 8th week of boot camp. In that phone conversation, he asked me to marry him. I willing and wholeheartedly said "Yes". As soon as boot camp ended, he flew to Ky for our wedding. We got married in my parents' backyard. This was the only house I had ever lived in during my entire 19 years of life. Two days later we were on our journey of married life driving to Orlando, Fl. for his next school. I left a hometown of approximately 3,000 people to live in the city of Orlando. What a shock for a young 19 year old girl!! We used to sit out on our balcony overlooking the parking lot of our little apartment and dream about our life. We dreamed of a large family. We dreamed of a farm in a quiet area of the mountains. We even talked about moving to Tennessee someday. As I look back over the last 20 years, I stand in awe of all that God has done in our life. I am so thankful because He truly has given us the desires of our hearts.

grace and peace,
julie

No comments: