Thursday, September 04, 2008

Just a Few Thoughts

On Tuesday, I picked green beans from our new green bean bed. I was wanting enough beans to can, but between the cows and the sheep I am not for sure that will happen. I did cook up the ones I picked, and they tasted wonderful! There is nothing better than fresh cooked garden green beans and vine ripe tomatoes.


We are still enjoying the Zinnias this year. I wish I had more time to do more with the flowers. As I was watching Gov. Palin's speech last night, I was wondering how she gets it all done. Last year about this time, I was working at home with Michael writing training packages for a mining company. It was the first time since I was 20 years old that I got paid for my work. I got to stay at home and write, but I hated it. I hated not being the one reading to our little one. I missed teaching school to our kids. I hated watching our house fall to pieces. Michael came to me and told me that my working wasn't working for our family. I agreed wholeheartedly and even though we were going to miss the money, we knew we had to go back to our old way of doing things. The kids quickly responded to me taking my place as the keeper of our home. Balance was restored and things went back to being the way that worked best for our family. It didn't take me long to realize that my heart isn't in the business world, but at home. The first business meeting I sat through ended with me wanting to throw up. People were downright nasty at the business table and I didn't handle controversy well. It gave me a glimpse in the business world my husband is a part of and I understood why he wanted to farm for a living!!!!

When reading Proverbs 31, it is obvious that the woman spoken of had her fingers in some business dealings. However, her family did not go uncared for according to scripture. I don't believe it is wrong for women to work outside of the home. I believe that we fall into a trap when we make lump sum statements that put us all into the same category. By the way, just because a woman stays at home doesn't mean that she is pouring into her children. She can fill her hands with things that have nothing to do with the caring of her little ones. We have to be careful not to judge one another. We need to encourage one another. My stint as a working mom brought me a total different perspective on things. I sat at the computer writing manuals, but my heart wanted to be with my kids. I wanted to do housework and make our home a peaceful dwelling place. I am thankful to the Lord that my hands are full doing exactly what He has called me to do, and I love the work that He has given me. I am thankful that my husband appreciates and values what I do each and every day...even the days that I don't get the house clean!

grace and peace

julie

2 comments:

Amy said...

Amen!:)

I loved her speech last night, but I wondered the same thing as I saw her five children sitting there. (Did you see the part where her youngest daughter licked her hand to smooth down the baby's hair? I got so tickled by that; it really touched me.)

I am re-reading a book by Debi Pearl called "Created to be His Helpmeet." Have you heard of it? Anyway, if you haven't, you would love it...It talks about the very things you shared in this post.

God Bless,
Amy:)

P.S. I love your Zinnias, by the way.:)

TnFullQuiver said...

Amy,
I thought Palin did a fantastic job!!!! I did notice little sister's hair licking finger. It was great!

A friend of mine bought me the book you mentioned. I have enjoyed reading and rereading it. I always find something to inspire me and get my attitude right when I read the book!
Enjoy your day!
grace and peace,
julie