Monday, September 01, 2008

Weekend Garden Progress

We all gathered together this weekend to pick some tomatoes, peppers, and watermelon.

We are also busy working on our fall garden beds. It is time once again to till the old beds and add more compost to make the beds for the fall garden.

I just finished repotting my little fall plants this morning. I ended up with 24 cabbage plants and 72 broccoli plants. I think this will hold us over through the fall and early winter. One of the raised beds will be donated for all broccoli. I will also plant an entire bed of collard greens, and an entire bed of different types of lettuces. Too bad I can't have tomatoes and cucumbers in the fall! I did replant some more squash and zucchini plants. They grew into beautiful plants and then over night the squash bugs came and ate them. I will have to come up with something for those little creatures next year! I will also be planting peas in the remaining beds very soon. We love fresh garden peas to eat, but they are wonderful replinishers for the garden soil. It is a win win situation!!!

grace and peace,
julie

2 comments:

Marci said...

Julie, I am glad you are on top of your fall garden. I am not sure I will even have one this year. I was hoping to. I LOVE your new header picture. Oh, it makes me want to be there.

TnFullQuiver said...

Marci,
This is the first year that I really feel like I am ahead of the fall garden. I usually have great plans, but then they don't get completed. I am still holding my breath because everything isn't actuallly in the ground as of yet.
I too love the header picture. My dad was a photographer and i have some of his work. That is one of his pictures. It was taken at the Smoky Mountains. We used to take the whole day and drive around just looking for awesome pictures places.
grace and peace,
julie