Tuesday, September 29, 2009

A Quick Fall Front Porch and Supper Idea

As we walked out the door this morning, my daughter squealed about it being cold. She was right. There was a chill in the air, and it is just one more signal that fall is here at our doorstep. This past weekend I grabbed a few mums and pumpkins to decorate our front porch. It took me about 10 minutes to put this together. I spent under $30 so that was also a plus. I always leave my big cedar bucket of dirt in all of my porch decorations. I pull out the used plants and start again with new plants for the season. I also keep the spikes in my planters for as long as they will live. This gives me extra height without extra money. I have had the spikes since early spring so I think that has been a good use of my money. I also reuse the same dirt so I don't have to spend extra money refilling the huge cedar planter. I am sure that sometime next year I will need to replace my dirt so that things will keep growing nicely. I am hoping to keep my mums blooming throughout the fall season. I would like to do more complex outside decorations, but time and money are limited so I make do with smaller. It still makes me happy!
Since the weather has turned cooler, I decided it was time to make some black eyed peas, rice and fried corn bread. I will add either some cooked spinach or fried cabbage to the menu. I also have some sweet potatoes that need to be used so I think I will include a sweet potato casserole. I am not for sure that really goes with the rest of the meal, but for those few kids that don't love the peas and rice they will really appreciate the addition of sweet potatoes. I love fall meals, and I love to cook them as well. They are generally cheap and easy to fix!!! That sounds like a winner to me!

grace and peace,
julie

No comments: