Monday, May 12, 2008

Weekend Progress

Our weekend was very productive on several different levels. I spent much time in Michael's shop transplanting all of my plants. I would have planted tomatoes out in our raised beds, but the weather did not cooperate with me on Sunday afternoon. I have filled the shop full of plants. I am having to switch the plants back and forth under the grow lights to get them all some light. We just don't have a large enough space to grow the amount of things that we grow in the shop. This year I have a large table full of plants that are ready to be planted. I am able to move the table in and out of the shop in order for them to get sunshine during the day.

I am now ready to start seeds directly in the beds. I will plant a bed of pole beans in the next few days. I will also be planting cucumber and cantaloupe seeds directly in the garden. I have a few cucumber and cantaloupe plants, but they won't be enough for our needs. This is one way that I like to succession plant. I like planting some plants to get myself a head start on growing, but then I like to plant seeds of the same plant so that I can extend my harvest out a bit longer.

The big news of the weekend is that we are now the proud owners of a tractor! Michael drove to Virginia this weekend to pick up the tractor from a family that we "met" in the blog world. We have read this family's blog for quite awhile. Several months ago, we heard through the grapevine (a mutual friend) that they had a tractor for sale. Michael called about the tractor, but we didn't have the money to do much about it at the time. Michael really wanted the tractor, but we decided that we weren't going to sweat and toil over it. He told them that if the tractor didn't sell in a few months to give us a call. Several months later, the owner called. They were willing to hold the tractor for us until we could get the money together. I knew the hand of the Lord had to be in this one, and we were thrilled. It isn't very often that people whom we have never met are willing to work so graciously with us. We were blessed.

Michael and Jacob left early Friday morning to drive to Virginia. They loaded the tractor up, and drove home in the big red truck. It was going to be about a 13 hour round trip for them. Everything went very well until they were close to Bristol, Virginia. It was about 7:30 p.m. when Michael called. One of the tires on the trailer blew out and he was trying to drive and find help. I called several road side service places, but nobody was able to help. The stores that carried the rims for the trailer were all closed until the morning. He parked the trailer with the tractor at a truck stop, and he headed to Walmart to purchase locks. Our concern was that someone would steal the tractor off the trailer. He bought a lock for the trailer and 2 locks that ensured the ramps on the trailer could not be lowered easily. Michael and Jacob drove home and arrived at our house about midnight. Early the next morning, he headed to the tire store and bought 2 new tires and rims. He only needed one, but he wanted to make sure he wasn't caught in the same position again. He still had close to a 2 hour drive to get home. Michael asked the same guy who came and helped us load pigs up in the middle of the night to come along in the event that he needed help. As usual, Todd was more than willing to help. Michael called me with such excitement when he got there and the tractor was still were he left it. They arrived back home around 3:00 p.m. on Saturday afternoon, and this time they had a tractor!!!

grace and peace,
julie




3 comments:

Marci said...

Julie, I can so relate to that story. First of all if you have been reading our "Tails" from the farm on Friday, you read about how our trailer blew a tire in the middle of nowhere on a Sunday evening. Also, we needed a tractor so bad. We were saving, but it was slow. Finally, we were able to buy a used one pretty local here. I took Michael over to pick it up. He was going to drive it home. When I saw him get up on that tractor, start it up and start to go, I got all teary eyed. That was a big dream for him. =)

Amy said...

Yay!!! Congratulations on your tractor. That story is such a wonderful example of God's timing and provision.

I know your husband is proud too. Like we've said before, little boys to grown men love themselves some tractors.:)

God Bless,
Amy:)

TnFullQuiver said...

Marci,
Michael was reading about your tire story, and he smiled and said "well, my day wasn't that bad"!! I am sure that trip was not all fun and games.

Amy,
I don't know who enjoys the tractor more Michael (my husband) or Seth (my 4 year old)! They both have a huge smile whenever it is running!

grace and peace,
julie