Monday, October 29, 2007

But it's still dark outside!!!!


I love fall and winter. I don't mind being cold and snuggling up with a warm cup of coffee in front of the fireplace. In fact, I quite enjoy the downtime that comes with the fall and winter seasons. With all of that being said, I do have a struggle with these seasons. I always thought that by nature I was a morning person. After all, I am NOT a night person by nature. If I make it up past 10:00 p.m., I have really accomplished something. However, I have come to realize there are 3 things that I need to operate as a morning person: 1. proper sleep 2. Motive for getting out of bed 3. LIGHT
It is obvious to feel your best each person needs to get a proper amount of sleep. I can function on less than a needed amount of sleep, but it doesn't always make for a pleasant day. I am more emotional, and I generally do not enjoy the day at hand as much when I am exhausted. I also need a motive for getting out of bed. I need something external to help PUSH me into action early in the morning. It might be my husband's job that requires him to get up at a certain time or children that have to be somewhere at a certain time. When my children were very young, I use to get up early in order to have an hour or two all to myself. At one point, I would get up at 4:30 a.m. in order to meet a friend at the local Y to get in a work out before the day got started. I only stuck to the commitment if I knew she was waiting on me. She became my motive for getting up so early.
Then we moved to Tennessee...I remember the first morning I awoke in the hotel room while we were here looking for a home. It was dark outside...very dark... I wondered why in the world my children were up and about. Well, it was 7:30 a.m. of course my children were ready to start the day! However, I wasn't ready to get out of bed when it didn't even look like a sun rise was in or on the horizon. I have always struggled with this dilemma every since we moved here. It is now 7:22 am and it is still dark! I know when the time changes, this will change some of my problems, but as winter continues on it still is dark around here very late in the morning. So I have come to realize that I am NOT REALLY a true dyed in the wool morning person...I just pretend to be one when all 3 factors are in place. I am going now to get my cup of morning java and spend a moment gathering my thoughts with the Lord. After all I will have to spend the rest of my day playing catch up for sleeping in so late on this dark fall morning!!
grace and peace,
julie

No comments: