Monday, July 27, 2009

Kitchen Renovations Have Begun!

This is my dining room. Technically, it isn't a room, but a continuation of my kitchen. Our house was built in the 70's when big kitchen and dining room combos where all the rage. This weekend we started the next phase of our kitchen renovation. First, I was going to leave the paneling and remove the wall paper so we could paint. Again, our house was built in the 70's when dark paneling was all the rage. We have chosen to paint all the paneling in our house. As I was trying to remove the wallpaper, I mouthed something about it would be easier to just remove the paneling and put up dry wall. Have you ever opened your mouth and knew instantly is just got you in a world of trouble? Yeah...me too. Michael was just waiting for me to say the word dry wall. He has wanted to rip all the paneling off the walls and dry wall ever since we have moved into this house. I on the other hand did not want to do that because I KNEW what that would require. Well, last night he started removing paneling and now my dining room is without any thing. Today I am suppose to remove everything out of our kitchen cabinets so he can take them off the wall in order to remove the paneling. Please tell me where am I suppose to put all of my dishes and kitchen things and cabinets? Oh, did I mention that I also have 14 more quarts of green beans to can? You would think I would learn my lesson about my whole mouth thing. Apparently, I am slow. We have a wall that separates our living room from our kitchen and dining room. Around 10:00 p.m. last night, I had loose lips and said something about removing that wall and just having a great room. Michael's eyes lit up like a Christmas tree and he climbed down off his ladder. He immediately went to the computer and started looking up information on removing load bearing walls! I promptly went to bed before I could say anything else to get me in trouble!

grace and peace,
julie



10 comments:

Carmen S. said...

Oh my, I thought you were JUST PAINTING? LOL, sounds like your hubby likes remodeling:) Can't wait to see!!!!

Trixi said...

Oh, my, that is hillarious. I am thinking be thankful, he is so motivated. My honey usually looks at me like I am crazy.LOL

Marci said...

It will be a mess for awhile, but you will LOVE it when it is done... or at least keep telling yourself that. :)

jwcreath@gmail.com said...

Julie,
Give thanks in all things! I think it is great that your husband want to make things look nice in your home!

Colste Stables said...

I just finished painting my kitchen cabinets last night! I will post pics before and after on my blog soon but man the difference! We had dark stained cabinets, old vinyl flooring, and the counter tops that are white with gold glitter and aluminum around the edge...hideous I tell ya! Well, we have painted cabinets white, changed hardware, tiled the floor and the counter top, took out a little cabinet above window above sink and a small penisula. It looks soooo different and I'm very pleased. We also painted wood paneling in living room to a color called almond cream with white trim around windows, baseboards, crown, etc. It looks like a french country cottage instead of a dark 70s den. It's AMAZING what paint can do! Be sure to caulk well, it makes ALL the difference too!

Country Whispers said...

Oh MY!
Good luck not only with finding a spot for everything but also in keeping all the drywall dust off of everything. Hope all goes well.
Just keep in mind that in the end it will be well worth it!

Mountain Mama said...

Oh how exciting! Sounds like a great home improvement. Try to enjoy the process :)

Good thing you went to bed when you did...who knows what your house might look like if you hadn't. tee hee

Boysaplenty!! said...

Oh I know it will be worth all the trouble in the end, Julie. As for those green beans you can just blanche them and freeze them. It is a cinche...oh yeah...do you still have a sink and countertop?!! ;-)

gregstacie3 said...

Wow guys, How are you? I can't believe your oldest is graduatied. We think about you guys all the time. Your blog is great. We would love to talk to you guys. Please contact us at gregstacie3@hotmail.com or 850-278-6870

Love,
Greg and Stacie Catalano

TnFullQuiver said...

Carmen,
I thought we were just painting too!! This is why I am always a bit nervous whenever we paint!

Mrs. Trixie,
Michael is motivated all right. I just pray it doesn't go away in the middle of the project!

Marci,
I am hoping that is the case!

JwCreath,

You are so right. Thanks for the reminder!!!

Colste Stables,
Caulking is a very important part of the process. I too have paneling all over our house and I love the look of painted paneling. I can't wait to see your pictures! Thanks for sharing your experience.

Country Whispers,
You may have to remind me of that again when we hit the middle point of this remodeling job!

Ashley,
I may be slow, but at least I learned! I will be careful next time to watch my words. Actually the more I think about a great room the more excited I am about the whole idea. Do y'all have a great room? If yes, do you like it?

Pam,
Yes, I still have a sink and countertop for now. I did freeze several quarts of green beans yesterday. thanks for the idea!!

Greg and Stacie,
How did you find our blog? Y'all are in our thoughts and conversations often. You just made my day!!!!! Yes, our oldest has graduated and I hear you have several little ones of your own! I'll get in touch with you and we can chat. I would love to see you and your family. Please send everyone our love!

grace and peace,
julie