Monday, April 27, 2009

Garden Production

We spent some time Sunday evening working in our garden. We planted squash, zucchini, okra, and cucumbers. I also planted an entire bed of flowers. I truly love the flowers that we grow because they are an inexpensive way to brighten our summer. My favorite cut flowers are zinnias. They are so easy to grow and to work with in arrangements. They look great in a vase or they are also wonderful to use as the focal point in a multi flower arrangement. I also planted Bachelor Buttons and Gompheria. I went down to the potato patch and planted an entire area of sunflowers. I can't wait to see all the different varieties of sunflowers growing. I can see this area clearly from our kitchen window so it should be a beautiful summer time show.

It is time to succession plant more lettuce. Our lettuce is beautiful and will be ready in the next few weeks. I will start another bed of lettuce so when we are finished eating this first bed, the second bed will be ready to harvest. I also have to get my green beans in the ground. I think we are going to put them in the potato patch to free up our raised beds for tomatoes and peppers. Our tomato and peppers are still a bit too small to plant so they will remain in the shop area until they get a bit bigger. Our garden is off to a good start. Our pantry is dwindling fast so I am looking forward to filling my quart and pint jars once again!

grace and peace,
julie

No comments: