Tuesday, March 09, 2010

A Quick Thought

My day has gone by before I have even had half a chance to get much done!  While I was in town this morning, my husband called to let me know that our jersey cow delivered a new chocolate colored calf.  We weren't even for sure if she was going to have a calf so this was exciting news.  I will get pictures of the new little one later and share them with you.  There just aren't much sweeter things than newborn farm animals!  Do you know what else this means?  You guessed it...this means that we will be milking our own cow!!!  I am sure there will be many funny things to share as I go on this new journey of farm life.  I am also sure that  it is going to be an adventure!!!  I have always wanted to learn to make cheese!!  I hope you come along with me as I learn. 

I also wanted to share a link to Marci's blog.  Go here to read an excellent post on stocking up your pantry.  It was encouraging to me, and I am sure you too will enjoy it. 

grace and peace,
julie

3 comments:

Carmen S. said...

Congrats on your new baby:) I have been wondering about making cheese too, we don't have a cow but I've heard it can be made with store bought milk?? Thanks for the link, I'll go check it out!

Boysaplenty!! said...

Oh yes, please share! Our goat is about to kid and I would love to hear your experiences as you will be just ahead of me on our milking adventure. It will be a first for us as well.

Paige said...

Yay! I bet the calf is so cute! Boy or girl? If you're wanting to make cheese, New Enland Cheesmaking Supply Co. is a great website--it's the Ricki Carroll of the more popular Home Cheesemaking. I really recommend it. A lot of free recipes and detailed directions and a good supply source for the cultures and what not!