Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Sounds

I miss hearing the sound of a horse...

Or the grunts of a happy pig. I really hate to admit just how much I like the pigs. They almost always make me smile unless I am chasing them around trying to get them back into their pen. I miss the sounds of their happy little noises.


I so miss the sound of the sheep. Nothing says contentment like hearing sheep in the fields. There is something so special about it that I don't even have the words to describe it. I miss those beautiful bleats one to another...the mother calling for her lamb or vise versa.
But the one thing I don't want to miss is the sound of a child. The sound when my child says, "I'm awake, Momma." That is what I heard this morning when I walked down the stairs. I forgot the littlest of all my children went to bed with the oldest last night. I rushed downstairs to get on the computer for just a bit, and then right before I turned on the light I saw him laying in the bed. I turned to go quietly back upstairs, and I heard him. "I'm awake, Momma." At that moment my heart melted. I have heard him call me "Momma" for years, but it was so sweet this morning. There wasn't any wants or needs that he wanted me to attend to. He just wanted to let me know that he knew I was there. I get the same feeling when I hear my 16 year old son call my name. He too still calls me "Momma". I don't think I recall him calling me "Mom", although I am sure he does from time to time. When I hear him say, "I love you, Momma", I know he has my heart in the palm of his hand. I would give my life for any one of these children. I know one day that the littlest voice won't be so child like. It too will change into the voice of a man. I know because our two oldest son's have already grown into their man voices and our third son is well on his way. I love the sweet sounds of a child, and I love the word, "Momma". It melts my heart.
grace and peace,
julie

8 comments:

Carmen S. said...

That is so sweet! My son always called me "MOMMY" and now he calls me mom but when he wants something, I still get a mommy now and then! Can't imagine what it will be like around here in June when he leaves for basic, I will surely be heartbroken, lonely, worried, but above it all I will be proud that he has the courage to want to defend our freedoms:)

Boysaplenty!! said...

Oh I know exactly the feeling you described! Once again I am in the same situation as you. My two oldest with their man voice and my 13 yr old almost there and my 9 year old still has that child like voice. I was just thinking this morning how much God's ways are not our ways. I recalled that I wanted to stop with the babies after my third. He was so difficult!! But the Lord had other plans and today I would have an empty nest for the most part if I would have had my way. Thank you Lord!! Thank you Julie for stirring my heart with gratefulness for my children! They are so dear to me!

Concetta said...

Jules - you could be like me and have a little one calling you "Mama" until you are well into your 100's!
Love you,
Concetta
The mother of 2-3-4
4 children
3 decades
2 centuries
2 milleniums

Teri said...

That just made my cry. Nothing more beautiful than being called momma.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post and what beautiful pictures!!

I gave you a Blog Award. To accept it you can pick it up here:

http://raisinggodlydaughters-kristy.blogspot.com/2010/01/my-first-blog-award.html

Unknown said...

oohh i know your heart! most of the time my son calls me mom, but on those occasions he says momma, my heart too stops. i remember, ooh how i remember!1st time he rode without training wheels, 1st time on alot of things but mostly the 1st momma!!my daughter has always called me momma and i don't know that i would know she was talking to me if she called me anything different?

idigpotatoes said...

your post made me think of a quote that i remind my children of its by a women named Maureen Hawkins

Before you were conceived I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were here for an hour I would die for you. This is the miracle of life.

i use it so often i painted it on a quilt..

Mountain Mama said...

you are one blessed "momma"!!

ps i will never forget the post about you (trying to) loading the pigs. hilarious!! i miss your pig stories.