Monday, February 16, 2009

Seeds Have Sprouted

Here are the seeds that I planted just the other day. They have now been moved from our bathtub to our makeshift greenhouse in the shop. They are under the grow lights and in just a few days it will be time to take them out of the seed starter trays and plant them in individual containers. All I have left to do now is to remember to water them and clean out the bathtub which still has lovely potting soil at the bottom. I am going to purchase new pots this year for my plants. I have used the little trays that I have collected over the years from purchasing starter plants. However, they have been used a lot and are in bad shape. I am unsure of what I will purchase, but Michael and I will head to the wholesale garden supply place and see what they have available. If you have any suggestions, please leave a comment.

grace and peace,
julie

2 comments:

Paige said...

I love your picture at the top! Did you take that one?

I still can't believe that you're already starting plants!

For starter pot, I've always used the plastic 8oz yogurt cups to both start and grow my seedlings in. Granted, they're about the size of a 4" pot, but they're free since Dan nearly always takes yogurt with him to work. I also like letting my seedlings stay put as much as possible until they get out to the garden.

I think I've also seen a form that you use to make pots out of newspaper. You have to have a tray to keep them on since they're not the sturdiest of pots. But they're biodegradable, you recycle some newspapers, and you just plant it pot and all into your garden. Last I checked Park Seed sold one.

Happy gardening!

TnFullQuiver said...

Paige,
I took that picture one day after I had collected a basket full of goodies. It has become one of my favorites.

I have heard of the form that could be purchased to make newspapers into pots. Sounds like a great idea that I have meant to look into, but at this point I haven't taken the time to do so. Thanks for the reminder. Your mom called and chatted with me on Sunday. It was so good to catch up with her!!
love to all,
julie