Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Hay, Dryers, and Other Fun Things

It is still cold and overcast here today. Michael had to go to town this morning to pick up yet another bale of hay. We noticed that our Jersey cow looks very thin. I don't think she is getting enough to eat. We have been rationing out hay each day, but today he went ahead and put about 1/3 of a bale into the hay ring. This will allow the animals to eat all day as they choose. We are hoping to only have to buy hay one or maybe two more times this year. At $95 a pop, it has been an expensive winter for us. I am thankful that we have had the extra money to be able to handle this expense without having to sell our animals. We are on the home stretch now!! I now have a greater appreciation for the old saying "Make hay while the sun shines!"

Today will be a continuation of cleaning. I didn't get as far as I had hoped yesterday. With all the rain, I decided it was a waste of my time to mop the floors. I will get to that chore today if all goes as planned.

We have been without our dryer working for about a week now. I purchased racks to hang our clothes on to dry. Michael called yesterday to ask me about model number so he could order the parts. He called again to ask me about the small dial on the left hand side of the panel. I told him our dryer didn't have a small dial. He told me that I gave him the wrong model number then because the model number I gave him had a small dial on the left. I went to check it, and to my chagrin there was a small dial on the left of the control panel. I had never used it. I noticed that it was set to "Air Fluff". I turned it back to "Regular", and lo and behold we had heat back in the dryer once again. I felt so stupid and a bit irritated with myself because I had gone to a lot of trouble this past week to dry the clothes. I was thankful that we didn't order all the parts to "fix" the dryer and waste that money. I spent the rest of the day yesterday answering the phone "Small Appliance Repair Shop, how may I help you?"!!!!


Now that I am such an expert on small appliance repairs, next time I will post about the greatest garden tool used for planting. (It really is a great tool and every gardener needs one)!
grace and peace,
julie

3 comments:

Brian G. Heyer said...

I've done the same thing with my dryer.

But when I say "I," I mean "my wife."

But I don't wish to remind her of that dark month when we wouldn't call the repairman for fear of a big service charge.

Anonymous said...

That is TOO funny about the air fluff button. It's always the little things, isn't it?!

Go ahead and send that big mastiff on over to our house. Surely Mary Jane will share the couch and the dead deer that she keeps dragging up on the front porch. She just came in from her last bathroom break for the night and my husband said she has to sleep in the laundry room because she smells like a dead deer. He is SUCH a smell snob. What's one more stinky 150 lb dog in the house?!
~Nancy

TnFullQuiver said...

Haymaker,
I think you are a very wise husband not remind your wife of "that" dark wet month without a dryer! Sounds like you have been married awhile.

Nancy,
Don't let Michael hear your offer. He will be loading Missy up on the UPS truck. (She likes to get in the truck while the UPS man is delivering our packages. I suggested to him that he just take her for a quick ride around the loop, but he declined). Missy hasn't managed to bring in a dead deer yet, and yes men can be smell snobs indeed!!!
grace and peace,
julie