Thursday, March 13, 2008

Another Bed Planted!!!


I planted the rest of my plants yesterday. Michael hasn't made the hoops as of yet, but the weather forecast looks good for these plants not to need hoops for now. We also planted lettuce seed, spinach seeds, and green onion sets in our beds. In our makeshift greenhouse, we have zucchini and yellow squash growing. They are still in the beginning stages, but they are little plants. I also planted a few tomato seeds the other day, but they haven't germinated as of yet. We wanted to try to grow early tomatoes just to see if we could.



I also organized all of our seeds from last year. We keep seeds in an old refrigerator in the basement. By keeping them cold, the seeds will last much longer that way. After doing an inventory and alphabetizing them, I made my seed order for this year. We order our seeds from Heirloom Acres. We were very pleased with them last year, and I am sure we will be the same this year.



There are two items that I can't purchase from Heirloom Acres. I love Ambrosia Cantaloupe and I also want to grow Mild Jalapenos. Both of these are a hybrid and so I will have to find the seed else where. I tried growing several different heirloom cantaloupes last year, and I was disappointed with each and every one. I do grow regular hot jalapenos, but I also like the mild ones for canning. I use the juice from my mild jalapenos to add flavor to Mexican dishes and soups. I can control the amount of heat I add to my dishes by using the mild ones.
I also have to find Yukon Gold Potatoes and Sweet Potatoes "seeds" for planting. We have never grown Sweet Potatoes before and that was one of my goals for this year. In our area, Yukon Gold Potatoes can be hard to find. I don't want to order them due to the cost of shipping.
grace and peace,
julie


4 comments:

TNfarmgirl said...

Hi,
I think Melvin at F&M carries them.
Broyles might also.
Cheri

TnFullQuiver said...

Last year Broyles didn't have any. We put in an order through Mize, but it didn't get fulfilled.
I think we started looking to late for them last year.
Thanks,
julie

Mountain Mama said...

Still envious! I think my brood and I will take a trip to TN and eat of your harvest. Yum! Everything sounds so good.
ashley

TnFullQuiver said...

Ashley,
Come on down! We would love to have you and your brood!!!
grace and peace,
julie