Wednesday, March 11, 2009

To Plant (Seeds) or Not to Plant that is the Question

I have had a lot of phone calls lately from people who know that I garden. I have to smile because I remember when we first started and I called Tnfarmgirl every other day for garden help. The first question that has come my way these past few days has been, "How do I know which plants to grow from seeds or which ones to grow from purchased plants?" When we first started gardening, I had to purchase my plants because I didn't have any grow lights. I watched the feed stores and Lowes, and when they started putting out plants I would purchase them. In the spring, the broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower plants would be displayed. I noticed that they didn't have any lettuce plants. I realized that lettuce is easy to grow from seeds so that is generally why lettuce plants are not found in the store. Lettuce, spinach, and carrots can be direct sowed in the garden. (Direct sowing means that you get your soil ready to plant and then you sprinkle the seeds into it and cover them up to let them grow). I suppose you could direct sow broccoli, but I have never done this. It is much easier to purchase broccoli plants. It makes the harvest quicker too.



Here is my list of things that I plant NOW using seeds directly sowed into the ground:

lettuce of all kinds

carrots

beets

spinach

Peas





Here are the things that I grow NOW from plants purchased from the feed store or Lowe's or that I have grown under the grow lights in our shop:

broccoli

cauliflower

cabbage

Romaine lettuce (these are grown as individual plants not sprinkled out like the other type of non head lettuces)





I also purchase onion sets from the store for green onions. Potatoes are grown from seed potatoes. This would be directly planted into the ground as well. I will do another complete post on potato planting around the end of March. That is when we will be planting our potatoes.



Keep in mind these are the items that I am interested in for my spring garden. I will do another list for my summer garden soon. Have I left out something that you plant in your spring garden? If so, please leave a comment so we can add it to the list.



grace and peace,

julie

2 comments:

Paige said...

Ug...I can't believe you're planting already! We still have about 8 inches of snow on the ground, though I think spring is trying to melt some of it away...

TnFullQuiver said...

Paige,
The snow will melt eventually...I promise!! We actually haven't started planting because our animals are still in the backyard. Instead we are working very hard to get our first set of fences completed so we can move the sheep out of the backyard. We will put our cows back out in the large pasture and hope they stay at home until we can get more fencing completed.
love ya,
julie