Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Progress Continues for the Garden

There is a 90% chance of rain today, but so far we have yet to get any. My new plants in the garden need water. If it doesn't start raining soon, I will have to haul some water down to them. The upside of no rain is our neighbor was able to come down with his tractor and plow up another garden area in our backyard. This will not be a raised bed area. Instead, we will be planting potatoes,which are due to arrive on March 30, and corn. If there is room, I would also like to add a row of pole beans. We haven't been able to grow enough green beans for our family in our raised beds so this would help if there is room.

My daughter and I headed to the shop this morning and did some seed sowing. We planted almost all of our pepper and tomato seeds. We also sowed a lot of flower seeds. Hope chose wave petunias and zinnias to sow today. We also planted our summer yellow squash. I am out of zucchini seeds so I need to get some of that tomorrow. The only variety of tomatoes that I didn't have that I wanted was Super Sweet 100. They are a very sweet cherry tomato and I truly love these little treats. They aren't an heirloom variety so I will pick them up from the feed store my next trip into town.

Here is a picture of some of our handy work from early in the day. When the seeds germinate, then I will have to get them under the grow lights. I don't have enough grow lights to accommodate all of my little plants so I have to go down stairs a couple of times a day and switch the plants around so that they all get to enjoy the light. It is a bother, but it does get the job done as long as I remember to water them!!!
grace and peace,
julie

4 comments:

TX Doodler said...

O, Julie, can't wait to see that extra garden full of veggies! What a blessing to have a neighbor willing to help till like that.

I'm loving following your planting & seed progress. It inspires me & I'm taking careful notes. My seeds have yet to arrive from Heirloom Acres. I'm trying to wait patiently, anxious to get started.

I have San Marzano Tomato's, Tommy Toe Tomato's, Green Beans, Pole Beans, Zuchini & Yolo Wonder Bell Peppers seeds to arrive. I also ordered flowers & garden spices.

Now, I'm debating to by us a grow light. It looks like it'd help out a lot. Have fun with your "sun" rotation in the shop.

TnFullQuiver said...

TxDoodler,
I would highly recommend the grow lights. It helps to keep the plants from getting "leggy" because you can adjust the lights to the growth of the plants. The set up we used came from Lowes. The 8 lights and cases were around $70. Michael used an old table and he made the shelves that the lights hang on from scrap wood. We have used these lights for 3 years and they have yet to burn out. We keep them on full time except in the summer and dead of winter. Let me know how you like your tomato varities. I am trying some new varities this year.
grace and peace,
julie

Paige said...

Oh wow! That's a pretty large plot of land! You'll be able to grow a lot on that! I can't wait to see pictures over the summer.

Unknown said...

Hi mom i had fun helping you with. Cant wait to see all of our flowers. Hope