Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Warning Warning all Gardeners


I found the dreaded potato bug on our tomato plants. If you find this bug, kill it immediately. They will eat your garden plants down to the stems if left unattended. We do not use chemicals so how do I handle the little problems? Well, it is a nasty job, but somebody has to do it. I use my fingers and smash them to oblivion. Sometimes I will collect them in a jar and feed them to the chickens, but most of the time I just squish them between my fingers. Always be vigilant with looking for bugs and eggs. If you get them before they get a good start, you will be much more successful in combating them without using chemicals. Turn the leaves over and look for little yellow eggs on the underside of the leaf. If you find them, squish them. This will also help control the bug population in your garden. It is time consuming, but I think the rewards are well worth the effort! By the way 3 and 4 year old boys usually really enjoy this garden job!!!

By the way, I ate my first garden cauliflower this evening. It was full of flavor. Our pastor in Florida described cauliflower as being a broccoli want a be without the flavor. I don't think he has ever eaten fresh garden cauliflower. It is not short of flavor! I boiled it just until fork tender and added some salt and cheddar cheese. It will be in our garden from now on.

grace and peace,
julie

2 comments:

Marci said...

I hate squashing them too, but you have to.


A job came open that Michael is qualified for. It is with his company down there in Knoxville. He put in for it, we have to wait and see.

TnFullQuiver said...

Marci,
I WILL be praying!!! I know it is selfish, but I sure would love to meet you and grow a friendship in person. After all, how many people have spent the night in the same hotel that I had my honeymoon at? Especially since it was in Owensboro, Ky!!!!
grace and peace,
julie