Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Swarm of Bees

There was a knock at the door yesterday that yielded a gentleman to tell me that our bees had swarmed. I called Michael at work and gave him the information. He told me not to worry about it because they would be gone by the time he came home. Much to his surprise, they were still on the fence. He got dressed in handy dandy bee suit and went to catch the hive.

He took his high technology cardboard box for carrying the bees. He tapped tapped tapped on the fence...

And then he shut the box and carried them to their new hive home...


He shook them out into the hive and went for another load.

While he was having all the fun, I was across the street in the shelter of the Big Red Truck with my magic weapon....

The window up and down button!!!! It was great because I got to see all of the action, but I was able to roll the window up any time I felt the need or the urge. I practiced with my trigger finger a couple of times because bees REALLY don't like me....I had to be ready just in case. However, no action was required on my part. According to my husband, he captured the queen and the hive should do great. Now we have 4 hives and hopefully soon we will have gallons of honey!!

grace and peace,
julie

3 comments:

Marci said...

I see the gamblers have found you!! That is a great blessing that he was able to catch the swarm. Our bees were lost year before last and we have not replaced them yet.

Leah Spencer said...

That was too cool Julie! Thanks for sharing... even though they did give me shivers. Glad you were able to gain another hive. :)

motherofmany said...

When I read the lead in, and then saw the picture of the window button, it just cracked me up!