Thursday, June 05, 2008

Siblings

Summertime can be a challenge to mothers at times. Each child has his own view of what a summer day should look like. Our 3rd son seems to think that summer is about going and DOING fun things. Just the other morning he crawled out of bed and started hounding me to go do something fun. Later in the day, I was just about at my wits end so I picked up the phone and called our oldest son who happened to be in the basement.



Me: "What are you doing?"



Matthew: "Nothing."



Me: "Your brother is about to drive me crazy!"



Matthew: "Which one?"



Me: "Jacob...you know the 11 year old."



Matthew: "What do you want me to do about it?" (My son knows me well enough to know that I don't just call him on his cell phone when he is downstairs just to chat. I call when I want something from him)!



Me: "I don't care...take him somewhere...do something with him...anything...just make sure he is good and tired when you bring him back home."



Matthew: "How about I take him to the gym to work out?"



Me: "Great...just don't bring him back until he is too tired to cause anymore trouble."



Moments after I hang up the phone I hear my oldest son say, "Hey, Jake. You want to go to the gym and work out with me?" The next sound I hear is shouts of joy from Jacob. (I sure wish I could get this excited about working out)!!



They say you can't buy peace. Well, I beg to differ. I didn't buy that eternal kind of peace that only the Lord can give, but I did buy the kind that is called peace and quiet!!!! It was glorious.



When they came back home several hours later, Jacob was tired. He had worked hard and he had lost some of the bounce in his step, but I noticed something way more important than that. He had gained a twinkle in his eyes. He was needing to be poured into that day, and Matthew did just that. He had time to be with his brother and do something that they both enjoyed. Matthew encouraged him, taught him, laughed with him...he filled him up. Jacob came back home beaming because of the time spent with just him and his oldest brother.



I have found that siblings need time to develop their relationships and that sometimes they can give each other things that I could never give. Please don't misunderstand me...I don't think that siblings should replace time spent with the parents, but they can add another dimension. We don't live close to grandparents so at times it feels like Michael and I are the only ones pouring into our children. It is such a relief when I see my children pour into each other. It's good for them and it's good for me. I also believe it helps make a strong family. Just this morning I heard Matthew ask Jacob if he wanted to go back to the gym and workout again today. No phone call from me was needed to encourage the two of them to be together this time.


grace and peace,


julie

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a neat story. I was just thinking the other day about how nice it will be when my oldest is driving and the boys can go places by themselves.

TnFullQuiver said...

Nancy,
It is wonderful having the oldest driving...well after you get over that whole please don't kill yourself or anybody else thing!!! Our second son will get his permit this November. In Tennessee, they get their permit when they turn fifteen. They then drive one year, and get their license. I think it is wonderful because it gives them a whole year of practice.
Enjoy your summer!!!
grace and peace,
julie

Anonymous said...

Hi Julie,

I understand exactly what you are saying. I have a toddler daughter and a baby daughter and they are just starting to have a relationship all there own that I am watching blossom. They have their own language and their own sense of humor and I realize that they will have each other when I am gone....

It blesses me.

Many Blessings :)
Ace

TnFullQuiver said...

Ace,
It is fun to watch the siblings especially when they get a new baby. I remember when my two older boys were just 3 and a newborn. My husband was out to sea on a submarine. I had the baby in his car seat and I decided to take a quick bath. I left him in his room sleeping. In the middle of my not quick enough bath, our 3 year old brought the baby to me and dropped him on the bathroom floor. He said that he was crying and needed me so he wanted to carry him to me!! Thank the Lord our 3 year old wasn't very tall, and the baby was just fine. After that, I always took the baby and his carseat in the bathroom with me!!
grace and peace,
julie