Friday, June 20, 2008

Garden Veggies

We always get a lot of squash and zucchini coming in at one time. This year I am going to try a second planting of these wonderful veggies. I have discovered a way to fix them that just about every one in my family enjoys. We all love fried zucchini, but you can only eat so much of that. I often substitute fried zucchini for the meat in a meal. I did that so much last year that my 2 older (carnivore) boys informed me that just because I bread a vegetable and fry it doesn't magically turn it into a meat product. I took the hint and made some meat. Just in case you have squash and zucchini running out of your ears, here is a great way to use it! Hope you enjoy!

zucchini, cut into 1 inch slices
squash, cut into 1 inch slices
1/3 cup olive oil
a clove of fresh garlic minced
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
fresh pepper

Mix all of the above in a large bowl. You can also add fresh mushrooms or onions if you like. Grill on wooden skewers or stir fry on stove. When I stir fry these, I add a little extra oil to the skillet. We like ours still crisp so it only takes a few minutes to cook this. You could also turn this into a full course meal by adding cooked chicken.

grace and peace,
julie

No comments: