Tuesday, June 10, 2008

A Few Quick Thoughts

It has been very hot here in our area. It seems we went from a cool spring right into a hot hot summer! Missy is always trying to find a way to beat the heat. She loves to be with me in the garden, but she hates the heat. I am up as early as possible to work in the garden before the major heat comes every day. Yesterday found me pulling up broccoli plants and preparing the bed for tomatoes. Today I pulled up cabbage plants and planted watermelon and cantaloupes. I also planted more rutger tomatoes. We are out of beds. I can't squeeze any more space out of the beds we have. I talked with Michael and he suggested that we till up 2 more beds, but we will not actually build them. We are running out of time and materials. If the rain holds off today, I will have my son till the beds. Even though we won't have the wood around them, they will still serve the purpose. At least they will be located with the rest of our raised beds so we can water them. You know it isn't the perfect plan, but it is what it is...and it will work for now.
Today I found our first zinnia in bloom. How glorious it was to walk out early this morning and see a beautiful new flower waiting to greet me. As I was in the garden, I was reminded of the old hymn "In the Garden". I found myself humming and praying while working the soil. Now put a cup of coffee with that and you have the perfect start to a perfect day!

grace and peace,
julie

2 comments:

Dreamer said...

I too was singing that song this morning. Hannah has a Precious Moments snow globe and music box that plays "In the Garden". She wound it up this morning while I was getting Faith dressed. It is amazing how often those old hymns come to mind throughout the day.

...He walks with me and He talks with me and He tells me I am His own...

Amy said...

You have a very smart dog!:)
And that flower is beautiful! I love seeing a bunch of them all together.
I am finally back.....There is no place like home, amen?:)

Have a blessed day!
Amy:)