Thursday, January 17, 2008

Snow Day Fun

It was predicted last night that our area would receive close to 3 inches of snow. I was skeptical, but I kept my eyes on the weather. As the evening time approached, it was a definite we would be getting snow. On our way to a home group meeting, I decided that our children needed gloves. We have had 5 pairs of gloves chewed to bits by our English Mastiff. She has some sort of fondness for thumbs on gloves. This is the reason that we no longer own a complete set of gloves. After church group, our family stopped by Walmart. We purchased 5 pairs of gloves, and 2 cheap plastic sleds. We were armed and ready. On the drive home, the snow was coming down in heaps. I smiled to myself and thought that for the first time in my life I was organized and ready. I wouldn't be spending my morning scrounging up gloves and snow attire!

I woke up this morning to hear the county schools had been cancelled. I was thrilled, and then I looked outside. There wasn't any snow. Well, there was enough to look like some flour had been spilled on the yard, but mostly grass was showing. Well since we didn't have any snow to speak of we spent the morning being lazy. (We all enjoyed that a great deal)! Our family took the snow day and headed to the local YMCA and made it a swim day instead. I have to say that we had a great time, but it sure didn't end up like we all thought it would. After buying 5 pairs of gloves and two plastic sleds, I spent 30 minutes trying to scrounge up a pair of shorts for our 3 year old to swim in. I didn't think his Thomas the Train snow boots would fit the bill for the afternoon!!! (However, he did wear them to YMCA)! I took a picture from last year and posted it with this post because to date we haven't seen enough snow to even take a picture!!!!!! On the bright side, all of our animals' water is still flowing and not frozen.
grace and peace,
julie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I was starting to get all jealous when I saw that snowy picture! We just got a light little dusting and my 6 year old actually went out to catch snowflakes on his tongue. He is SO looking forward to making a snowman and snowangels someday!

But swimming would be good too. Very good!

TnFullQuiver said...

Nancy,
I think your all's weather and ours are a lot alike. My mom lives about an hour away from Bowling Green. She usually gets the weather the day before us. We warm up a bit earlier in the Spring, and our summers are milder than hers, but overall it is pretty much the same.

Swimming was very good. I had forgotten how wonderful it felt to glide through the water. I don't want to paint a picture of me being a graceful swimmer because my whole family will paint a totally different one. However, it did feel great to swim for the afternoon! Enjoy your day!!!
grace and peace,
julie