Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Bread Baking Problems Fixed

Since we moved to our new home, I have had a problem baking bread.  I kept baking it, but it wasn't turning out the way I wanted.  Sometimes it was fit to eat, but other times it was used to feed the neighbor's cows.  The cows have had so much food from me that they run to me anytime they see me.  We now have a relationship that involves a lot of mooing on their part.   The last straw was when I served half done biscuits one morning.  I couldn't get them baked.  I marched myself to Walmart and went in search of an oven thermometer.  It cost me $5.50, but it saved my sanity.  I was starting to think that I had lost my touch at baking bread and sweets!  I discovered that my oven was off by 50 degrees, and even more than that the higher the baking temperature.  I had my oven adjusted at 475 degrees to bake my biscuits, but it was only baking at 375!  That explains all of my issues...well, at least the issues with my baked goods!  I am now leaving the thermometer in the oven and using it to adjust my temperatures.  It was a quick fix that got me ready to bake a loaf of bread once again.  Now all I have to do is get over this nasty cold!

grace and peace,
julie

2 comments:

LizBeth said...

Bless you! Hope the cold is better soon. Seems like I have one every time we move to a new area and meet the new allergens. So glad you cured the baking problem before you lost your mind. That would be the last straw. Glad you got such a pretty new house. ~Liz

Carmen C. said...

UGH! Summertime colds are the worst! I'm glad the baking problem was an easy fix and I'm sure your family will be glad too;) One week from today we are leaving for GA for family day and graduation at Ft. Benning!!!!!!!!!